• November 18, 2018, 05:40:13 pm
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: Rob Dickinson TEMAC #226  (Read 687 times)

Online octagon

• Captain
  • TEMAC #: 226
  • Started Flying RC: 1974
Rob Dickinson TEMAC #226
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:34:07 am »
Hi everyone.
I am Rob Dickinson, and member number 226. I was fortunate as a kid to have a stepfather who had worked for De Havilands test flying Mosquitos in WW2. He came away with a love of anything that flew. For Christmas when I was 12, I got, as my big present, a Cox Stuka dive bomber with an 0.49. We started it on top of the freezer Christmas day, much to the consternation of my mother. Come spring, we took it to a local field, where it made about 1/2 a circuit, before not pulling out of a nose dive, and breaking a wing. Luckily, my step father was also a talented model builder, and so before long we had a built up Piper tri pacer to fly. Long story short, over the next 4 or 5 years he must have built at least 50 planes for me to fly. Still have a Stearman with a diesel motor hanging in the basement. Anyway, I credit that with me having a life long interest in anything that flies.
My first attempt at rc was in grade 12. I built this neat little low wing monoplane with a galloping ghost, pulse transmitter. Next, went on to a Falcon 56 from Goldberg, but the radio was a Heathkit, with servos about the size of a pack of smokes! The only way to get the aileron servo in was to cut a bit out of the main spar. Took it to the  field that used to be at Steeles and Keele. Everything looked good on the maiden, until I pulled up into the wind about 300 feet up. The wing cracked and then folded. It was like a Bomark missle coming down. Nothing left, and I never did find 1/2 of the wing. Anyway, life moves on, was and air traffic controller for a few years, got out of that and got back to flying sailplanes. Got pretty good at that, but hard on the neck muscles. Kids came along, and all of a sudden it was not important for me to be at the sod farm as much. I still loved planes, but priorities dictated money should be spent for food and diapers and all that.
The kids are raised, and I started to think about a hobby. I learned to fly at King City airport in the late 60's on a Champ (CF-DND), but I had never tried a sailplane. Was going to do that when I was informed that those guys are at the field all weekend. I run a business and cannot be away as much as I would like, so that was not going to work. My Daughter lives in Stouffville and told me that she had seen a model field on the Stouffville road. 
I talked to Ron at Pinnacle and he said the Apprentice was the way to go. I had purchased a Hobbyzone Champ on a whim and had been flying it in the soccer field close to my house. I showed up at the field on a Saturday with my new Apprentice in tow. I was lucky to have Bobby, Ed and Simon present, and able and willing to give me their time to let me fly the plane.
Since then, I have been getting out on Wednesdays and Sundays as much as I can, to practice. I am extremely happy to have found a club with senior members helping newcomers so much. Greg H has taken me under his wing and helped me re-master flying, but Mike,  Mike, Simon and Greg have all instructed and helped me, and I am thankful to all of them. Jack has added his expertise, and I am trying to follow it. (cleared to land, bounce, cleared to land, bounce, cleared to land.)Trying Jack, really I am.
I think TEMAC is a great club. I like the field, the "paved" runway, and am grateful for all the help in getting back into this crazy sport. Things have changed so much since I last did this. It is almost like I am doing it for the first time, but with great help and support.
Thanks Guys.

Rob     
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:29:04 am by bfeist »

What could possibly go wrong?