Bill's Skywriter...err Pitts Python? Build...

Started by Wingnutz, December 09, 2014, 11:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Suggestion - use a smaller lipo and build a hatch!  ;D

piker

Lookin' great, Bill!

Hmmm... I was going to suggest the good, ol', arming switch (or jumper) in the motor leads, but I'm not sure how "we" now do that with those new, fangled, brushless, motors.  Switch two of the three leads?

Besides, an arming switch is a requirement of the MAAC safety code  :)

Papa

Hi Bill. I have always been dubious of Frank's method on the Norseman for that very reason. That is why I elected to do the complete motor unit removal.

Looking at your pictures you might have space on the left side if you cut through the former with the triangle braces and put the battery on it's side. Access would be through a hatch on top.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

Have poked away at my Skywriter fuse and looking back at where it was last post, there's been some progress. Re-oriented (not repositioned) the battery so plugging and unplugging takes place away from the prop.
Mounted the landing gear, and upper wing ( a bit of a challenge until I found the three level trick in the manual...went much better when I got the wing saddle level with the lateral datum line... Not sure that's the right term)
Sheeted the fuse sides and sheeted the forward part of the fuse top...think it looks more like a stretched Pitts Python than any other plane I can think of...gonna look for or make a bubble canopy to capture a little more of the Python's look...still lots to do...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

Turtle deck framed, interplane strut brackets bent...looking more like an airplane! Trying to use my iphone as an inclinometer...works fairly well except you need three hands to hold the phone against the bottom of the wing and take a picture!

bweaver

Wingnutz

Thanks Bruce...how's the Savoia coming?
Question for other Skywriter builders..."What are the arrowed slots cut in R2s of the lower wing? Pictures are from the manual...photo blog thing.

Papa

Our best guess is that he intended to fix the under carriage to the wing but changed his mind and placed it on the fuselage. These slots were where the under carriage would have been.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

I'm thinking servo wire routing.  Look at the exit hole in the sheeting.  ????

Wingnutz

Gonna go with Jack's reply and use the wing to secure the rear strut(s) of a bent wire LG. Rear strut will rest on the diahedral brace and be held there with plywood locating strips and nylon straps as per the big Norseman. Hoping this results in sturdy LG

Wingnutz

Looking more like an airplane...have put a hatch in the top for the battery but it's still located with its front just behind the prop. With standard length nose, and battery in place, it's pretty close to balancing...no ballast.
Have to paint the LG white, add wheel pants, bubble canopy and graphics...
Callie's done the graphics which are a somewhat whimsical grab at Canadian history...what else would I put on a red and white aircraft?

Michael

Looks amazing!

The battery hatch is excellent!
Michael

Papa

Great looking Bill and you can still see the Sky Writer in there somewhere.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Wingnutz

Jack, sometimes l'enfant terrible in the SB class listens and does what the instructors suggest...I put the Warren truss bracing in as per your suggestion and before I close up the bottom, I'll add diagonals opposed to the ones in the top of the fuse.
Graphics are almost done...kind of a nostalgic look at the Miss Supertest unlimited racing hydroplane from the 50's and 60's...
With almost everything attached and a 3300 mah 4S battery on board, model is balancing on top wing main spar...no ballast...4lb, 7oz AUW

Papa

A motto to live by: