Adrian Page Super Cub

Started by Michael, March 07, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

The Adrian Page 1/5-scale Super Cub is a Canadian manufactured laser-cut balsa and plywood wood model airplane kit. The kit was in production about a dozen years ago, and then production stopped about 10 years ago. Adrian recently started manufacturing these kits again recently, and I very eagerly acquired one. Glenn and Gordon (both TEMAC members) both built one of these years ago, and they fly really nicely. Another TEMAC member, Pat, recently acquired a kit as well. Glenn still flies his at TEMAC very often in the summers.

The kit is intended for modellers who have built kits before, and so the lack of detailed instructions can be challenging for beginners. I'll be keeping a building log/thread so other members can reference it if they want.

A Piper Super Cub differs from a Piper J3 Cub in that it has a cowl that fully encloses the engine, slightly different outlines on the fuselage and tail, and they have flaps.

I will be building a model of a 50 to 60 year old full scale military version I saw in a museum in Israel a few years ago, so I will be customizing some parts. I once modified a Hangar 9 ARF to make one of these models, but crashed it doing sloppy aerobatics.

The main change from the kit will be the rear-most and fuselage top windows.

The following is a list of additional wood and parts I purchase as I build the kit. I will add to the list as parts are used.

- 4 pcs 1/4" x 3/8" x 36" hardwood for wing spars.
- 2 pcs 1/16" x 3" x 36" sheet of balsa wood.
- 1 pc 1/4" hardwood for rear wing spar and braces.
- 1 pc 1/4" diameter dowel for wing hold-down.
- 2 pcs 36" length aileron and flap balsa tapered stock, approx. 2" x 3/8"
- 5 pcs 1/4" square balsa for fuselage longerons (inner edges) and stabilizer/elevator
- 4 pcs 1/8" dowels, 48" long
- 2 pcs 1/4" x 1/2" for the stabilizer

- Sullivan Gold-n-rod nylon control rods
Michael

Michael

The kit was mailed to me in 2 boxes; one with the wood, and one with plastic parts. I will still need to buy some balsa sheet, and all the hardware. The instruction manual was emailed to me so I simply printed it out. There are full size plans in the kit.

I do have a proper size functioning bungee landing gear (Robart brand) which I bought years ago. I will use these, and I also have proper shaped collapsible wing struts, which I may use instead of what come in the kit. I'll decide as I build.

Glenn uses a 6-cell lipo system with a '60'-size electric motor, which he says works very well and balances the plane. I'm using a 5-cell system with a '46' size motor in a Hangar 9 1/5 scale cub with floats, and I fly that off water easily, so I'll be using a similar power system in this plane. Actually, the construction is so light, I'm sure a 3-cell 04 4-cell system would fly this model well.

Michael

Michael

Leading and trailing edges.

I sand all balsa tabs off the parts just before assembling them.

These are not heavy sticks that will need shaping and sanding. These are laser cut parts that are constructed. I haven't seen this before, but even though this kit was designed more than a dozen years ago, it is very innovative as compared with most kits I've built.

If I don't explain something clearly, or if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, or comment.

Michael

octagon

Hi Michael,
Looks good. How much was the kit?
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

I'm not really sure.

Contact Adrian Page.

[email protected]

TEMAC is considering this kit as a group building project for winter 2015/2016.
Michael

pmackenzie

Nice, I like the L4 Grasshopper conversion idea  :)

Michael

More wing construction.

I took all wing parts out of the laser-cut sheets, sanded the little tabs, and placed them on the plans. Additional wood and parts, that are not included in the kit, are now necessary for construction. I will be keeping a complete list of purchased parts in the opening thread, as I acquire and use them. In one of the photos below, there is about $100 of newly purchased wood and hardware, although that may be more than needed.

The assembled trailing edges have been pinned to the plans, and the main ribs, leading edge and spars are put together, with slot and tab type construction. The wings as in the photo, are simply assembled and not yet glued. It took about 10 minutes per wing to line everything up.

The instructions do say that the balsa parts may not match the plans exactly. This is the case with my model, as you can see in one of the photos. The instructions suggest using the plans as a guide in this case, as long as the parts are built square. I lined up the inner wing parts (where it will be close to the fuselage) and assembled/built everything square, out from there.

Michael

Michael

Wing lights area construction was easy.

All ribs and and small ribs glued to leading and trailing edges.

Next is leading edge sheeting and shear webs. I'm not in the mood for that, so I'll see if there's anything good on TV.  ;D
Michael

Michael

Nothing I liked on TV, so I did the shear webs.

This was actually easier than I thought, as it was simply a matter of cutting webs measuring 1" x 1 5/16" x 1/16", grain running up and down (the longer measurement), and glued on either side of each full rib. I haven't done this before, and I'm not sure how strong this will be, but the reputation of the kit/model is excellent, and I won't argue with success.

I used Lepage Express wood glue for the shear webs, and then added a drop of medium CA to each rib where it touches the spars. I've been using CA on everything else so far. I used more than 1/2 of a 1/16" x 3" x36" sheet of balsa wood, so I'm adding that to the list of wood in the opening post.
Michael

Papa

Looking very smart.

Did you clamp the shear webs or just rely on contact?

I would suggest that clamping might be best.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

I did not clamp.

Once attached, I did wiggle and squeeze each pair surrounding each rib.

Don't get excited guys; nothing sexy there.
Michael

Michael

Front sheeting glued down and wing tips started.

Another 36" sheet of 1/16" balsa was used for the front sheeting.

Michael

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Interesting photo.

Same number (099), same colour spinner and wheel hubs.

I wonder if it's the same plane, and whether or not it has been repainted, before or after I saw it.

I still plan on finishing the model in white and orange.

Michael

bweaver

When you compare the photos, it looks like the same building behind both aircraft at the time the photo was taken.