Adrian Page Super Cub

Started by Michael, March 07, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredVTT

Ok Adrian, no "fancy cf tubes"...now about that small amount of dihedral....is it primarily to eliminate the sagging look that can result with a flat wing, because it would be easier to do a split wing with the entire thing flat on the bench.

thanks,
Bill

Adrian Page

Well... the real one has some dihedral. It seems to be a variable thing that can be adjusted to suit the owner of the plane. I think the wing looks drooped if you make it flat. I doubt you could tell any difference either way as far as flying goes.

Adrian

retiredVTT

Yes, drooped is the correct word, not sagged. Appreciate you replying so quickly, Adrian.

I think I will go with a flat wing, and maybe drop a rib or so on each side. Maybe use the extra ribs as doublers around the wing joint.

Bill

Michael

Well, as some of you know, my Super Cub was destroyed (at the Kingston electric fun fly) when it decided to stall when I did a very slow flat turn.

The power and radio components all survived, but the model structure almost disintegrated.

Today, I ordered a new kit, and I'll start building again soon.
Michael

sihinch

That's the spirit, Michael!

Adrian Page

Quote from: retiredVTT on July 02, 2015, 10:59:02 PM
Yes, drooped is the correct word, not sagged. Appreciate you replying so quickly, Adrian.

I think I will go with a flat wing, and maybe drop a rib or so on each side. Maybe use the extra ribs as doublers around the wing joint.

Bill

Here's a clipped wing one Bill. I think my friend had an OS 90 4 stroke in it. It did some crazy aerobatics.

Adrian

piker

Great news, Michael.  So you'll be done by August?   ;D

retiredVTT

I really like that picture Adrian...I call it "two ole farts and a youngin" ...you gotta get that shot back on the website, that one sells kits..!

Great news Michael, I bet the second one will be a joy to build, we generally make all our mistakes on the first one..!

Bill

retiredVTT

I took a look at this picture, and put "dihedral' on the back burner.

Bill

Adrian Page

The plane in the picture looks to have about 5" dihedral measured at the centre. I think the wings look drooped if they are built straight. A kind of optical illusion.

Adrian

Michael

OK!

I've cleaned up all my planes from the garage, stored most of them away for the winter, and neatened up my work shop.

I'll be busy most of the next few weeks, but I'll start imagining/planning how to repair/rebuild my Cub, and hope to actually get started by the middle of November.

One photo shows the damaged plane, the other photos show my workshop. (Pay no special attention to all those awards on the wall!)  ;D

Michael

Michael

Here are the surviving parts of the fuselage. The rear part is in excellent shape. I purchased a complete new kit. Perfectly suitable for this repair job, the kit has fuselage laser cut parts for the front of the fuselage, and for the back, so I can simply rebuild the front, and then splice it onto the rear. This is my plan, and I've just started the work.

(I'll worry about the wing later.)

Michael

Gregor77

Michael

Basic framing done, and the rear windows cut to match the military version.

Michael

wollins

You are a machine my friend.  That's a week's worth of work for me right there! lol!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!