Adrian Page Super Cub

Started by Michael, March 07, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

A tiny bit of progress.

Wing tips assembled, then the edges are sanded round/smooth, and then they are glued to the wings, rear part flush with the bottom of the wing, front part centered on the leading edge.

One of the upright supports isn't vertically straight (see the photo), but it doesn't matter and it won't affect the model adversely.

Small scrap balsa is installed near the leading edge; I'll add another piece on the bottom once the wing is lifted from the table.

I'll wait before installing servo supports and the struts attachment pieces, because I haven't decided on what size servos I'll be using, and I haven't decided what struts I'll use.
Michael

gordonbw

Micheal ... Good memories of working on this kit a few years ago. Mine is still in great shape but I will admit that it has been a hangar queen recently.  I want to get it back in the air ... Let's fly together I when the field opens.

Michael

I look forward to it, Gordon.  :)
Michael

electroflyer

Hey Michael,
  Are you finished yet?

Glenn

Michael

Still working on the wings.
Michael

Michael

Servo 'boxes' constructed out of laser cut parts. I needed to cut the opening a little bit to fit my servos (I bought mini - not micro - servos).

Wire tubes made of paper, glued in and cut to fit.

One of 2 large plywood dihedral braces glued in place onto the hardwood main spars.
Michael

Michael

There is a 1/4" square hardwood spar at the rear, but there is no slot in the appropriate ribs. I cut slots where needed.

Smaller pieces of that 1/4" hardwood serves as braces for the leading plywood face of the wing.

1/4" dowels are glued in place to secure the wing to the fuselage.

These 2 pieces of wood are added to the list in the opening post.

Some 1/8" sheet is put in between ribs near the fuselage. I used scrap from the kit, so this is not added to the list of wood to buy.

I still need to add thin sheeting in specific parts of the top wing, and I still have to put plywood surfaces to which to attach the wing struts. I'll do this later when I decide which struts I'll be using.
Michael

piker

That looks like a fun kit to build.  I'm tempted!   ;D

sihinch

Oi, Piker!  What were we talking about last night!?  Finish your other models first!  ;)

piker

I just said I was tempted... after I finish all my other projects. 

Michael

I made a mistake on the wing.

I have 1/2" dihedral on one side; 1" on the other. There's supposed to be 3/8" on each side.
I probably won't do anything about it, and it probably won't have any effect on the flying, and it won't be very noticeable.
I may slightly sand the center-bottom of the wing so that the wing sits on the fuselage in a way that the dihedral looks even.
Michael

Michael

Washers glued done on rear wing plywood hold-down plate, and rear top trailing edge glued down on right side of the wing. I used the 'Express' glue here, because it gives more time when gluing down a larger surface. After a couple hours, I'll pin the left wing flat and glue the left side on.

Michael

Papa

That dihedral, was it 3/8" or 3/4"?

You should be able to fudge the Fuselage on one side to straighten it out.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

3/4" total, or 3/8" each side.

Yeah, I'll fudge it one way or another.  ;D
Michael

Michael

Ailerons and flaps.

I was able to purchase the right length, width and nearly the right depth tapered balsa to make the ailerons and flaps, except the leading edge was rounded. I'll add a simple description of this balsa to the list of wood to buy, but I don't necessarily suggest the size that I bought since it had to be modified somewhat.

I cut the aileron and flap pieces to length, and then trimmed the aileron outer tips to match the round curves of the wing. I planed and sanded the ailerons to have a centered-beveled leading edge. These were not quite tall (depth) enough to match the rear part of the wing, so I mounted the aileron flush with the top of the wing (the hinge line is not at the top of the wing; it's at the center line of the aileron, but about 40% down from the top of the rear edge of the wing). It's about a mm short on the bottom, but overall, it looks fine, and will function fine. I used CA hinges here (not glued until much later, after covering).

I cut about 3/16" off the rounded leading edge of the flaps, and glued on an appropriate thickness piece of balsa, so I could cut and sand the flap to have a top-hinged beveled leading edge of the flap. The flaps are hinged from the top edge because they move from level to down positions only; they never travel up. See the photos. I used plastic and pin-type hinges here, also not glued yet.

Other than sanding (to smooth out all my errors  ;D ) and servo and linkage installation, the wing is finished. Once the fuselage is constructed, I'll bring the wing back to complete its attachment.
Michael