Float Fly, Tavares Pond, SATURDAY, July 25th at 5:00pm

Started by Michael, July 23, 2015, 03:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

On behalf of our float fly committee (Robert Pike), I'm very pleased to announce another opportunity to fly at the fantastic Tavares Pond, this coming Saturday, July 25th!

David had invited us back for an evening of float flying from his private pond near his home.  Anyone who has been there knows how wonderful it is to fly there and what a gracious host David is.  We'll start at 5:00pm and fly until dark (9:00 ish).  Later in the evening is the perfect time for float flying as the winds die down and the water turns glass smooth.  Bring a chair, your planes, a bite to eat for dinner, something to drink, and maybe a light jacket as it can cool down in the evening,The weather, at this point, is looking to be pretty good for Saturday, and the water is always clear, smooth, and welcoming at David's place.This Saturday is the last day of Spring, so let's kick-off summer with a wonderful float fly at a perfect location with our usual bunch of float flying friends.  Even if you haven't flown from floats before, or you want to test fly a new seaplane, come on out.  There's plenty of help available!I hope you can make it!  Let me know if you have any questions.Here's a link to the driveway entrance:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8650066,-79.5530309/43.8557564,-79.5990177/@43.8551975,-79.5813551,6352m/data=!3m1!1e3
Michael

Wingnutz

Maybe I should convert!..I like Michael's forecast and calendar much better than mine! :)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

You're right, the weather forecast does look bad.

We'll make a decision tomorrow.

Check back here by 2pm Saturday.
Michael

Michael

It's getting windy and cloudy, but I'm still charging my batteries.

I'll post again at 3pm.

Michael

imran1042

the chance of rain in that area around continues to drop and the wind as well. 
Any day at the field is a good day :)

imran1042

looks like if it does rain,  it'll be over by 8pm. winds are around 18km/h
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Michael

As long as it's not raining, I'll be there.

Robert will be there with his retrieval boat.
Michael

Michael

I guess the weather forecast scared too many people away as only a few of us got out there and had a really great time. We flew from 5pm to 8pm.

The weather was warm, and although it was windy, there were no crashes and the wind calmed down later on. This was Peter's first time flying off floats, and he did great; 4 good flights with his 1/5th scale Piper Cub.

Robert, Gerry, Ken R, Peter and I flew. For the record, Robert had the second nicest landing of the evening!  ;D

Michael

piker

Thanks Michael for setting up this Tavares Float Fly while i was away from the internet for a week. 

Yes, it was a nice evening of float flying that got even better as the sun lowered in the sky.  SOME of us stayed until after sunset and it was spectacular.  A beautiful orange sky and calm air and water to add to the effect.  Just perfect.

And you should have seen my awesome touch and goes after Michael left... but I guess he did the best landing that HE witnessed   ;D

Really though, this one particular landing of Michaels looked to be doomed with wiggles and waddles all the way down until a horse shoe dropped out of his butt and he greased the Cub in for a pretty good landing  :P

Good times...good times...

Michael

Robert's kind enough to let me keep the bragging rights to my one fluke great landing, but Robert really did the best flying yesterday, the only person who didn't fly ARFs.

Most impressive was Peter who really got into float flying, especially considering that this was his first try. He looked like a pro even on his first flight.

It's too bad more didn't participate; you can't always believe those weather forecasts.

Michael

piker

It's no fun when you get all kind and complimentary when we're in the middle of trash talkin'!

But what you say is true... Don't let the "almost always wrong" weather forecast ruin your chance to fly at a great location like Tavares Pond.  Our opportunities there are very limited.

Michael

Michael