Bill Foster (retiredVTT) MAAC 13708, HEFA # 5

Started by retiredVTT, June 30, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredVTT

Hello, most of my details are posted in the Subject line; the ID of "retiredVTT" stands for "retired vertical transportation technician", which is fancy for "elevator guy". Thirty-five years of "ups and downs" with just occasionally having been given "the shaft"..!  Ok, that's getting old now..gotta come up with some new material.
Anyway, you can tell from the MAAC number that I flew glow back in the day..between '76 and '84. Got away from the hobby when the Goldwing touring bike bug hit from '85 to '98..finished that off with the GL1500 with reverse..! Retired in 2000 and stared at those model planes still hanging up. Found out two important things soon after...that electric flight was the way to go...and sadly that Don Dewey, editor of RCM magazine had died from a massive heart attack. I was stunned at that news, as I have every RCM from 1975 to 1988 still sitting above my work bench.

Fast forward a few years and five of us started the Halifax Electric Flyers Association in 2008...a MAAC chartered Club # 711, with present membership of 51, and I have been President for two years. We lease a field from Canada Lands within the Shannon Park lands off Windmill Road in Dartmouth, NS, and most members live within 15 minutes of the field. These lands are scheduled for redevelopment as it is a surplus Naval residence area. Hopefully the redevelopment will take several years!

that's it for now,

Bill

bfeist

Welcome to the forum, Bill! Great to have some representation from eastern Canada. If you're ever in the Toronto area be sure to reach out.

sihinch

Yes, welcome Bill. Great to have you with us.

retiredVTT

Quote from: bfeist on June 30, 2015, 03:43:29 PM
Welcome to the forum, Bill! Great to have some representation from eastern Canada. If you're ever in the Toronto area be sure to reach out.

Thanks for the welcome...in my intro I left out the part that started that 35 year run in the elevator trade...in 1965 I came to TO,  to attend the Radio College of Canada at 461 King Street West for an intensive 52 week course in Automation Electronic Technology. Toward the end of the course, a suit showed up from OTIS and asked that all students fill out an application for employment. In my case that application was forwarded to their office in Halifax, and yes, the rest is history.

I have a question concerning the threads here...is there a box to be ticked somewhere so that I will receive notification that there has been an update to a thread in which I have already posted to....cannot seem to locate this box!

thanks,
Bill

bfeist

Hi Bill,
461 King West is now a pub that I go to more often that I care to admit. Small world!

To receive email notifications on replies to a message thread, click the "notify" button at the top of the thread.

retiredVTT

Quote from: bfeist on July 03, 2015, 04:09:12 PM
Hi Bill,
461 King West is now a pub that I go to more often that I care to admit. Small world!

To receive email notifications on replies to a message thread, click the "notify" button at the top of the thread.

Really..."A pub.." Wow, as I recall there was a lot of space in that building...of course that was 50 years ago, which seems weird to say..)

Thanks for the "notify" tip. I don't believe I would have found that ..!

Bill