Float Fly At Pike's Place

Started by piker, October 06, 2015, 06:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Well, after a frustrating attempt at a float fly a couple of weeks ago, at Frenchman's Bay, I, and the rest of the guys there, decided it was time to try a float fly at my new home.

You see, a couple of months ago, my wife and I bought a house on Lake Scugog to satisfy my life long dream to have a float flying lake in my back yard.  It's quite a change for us, and frankly the house is a dump, but it's a change that we're very excited about... and the float flying is great!   ;D

Our backyard faces directly west over the lake, so the sunsets are spectacular, but flying in the evening during a sunset is challenging.  When I'm flying by myself, I can go out in a boat and face east, but that's not practical for a group of float flyers.  That's why I'm suggesting that we get together in the morning, as early as reasonable, to take advantage of the calm air and water.

So, to anyone who's interested, please join me this Sunday, October 11 at 9:00am for some float flying.  I'll supply a retrieval boat, a grassy lawn to set-up on, chairs, bathroom, charging electricity if needed, and around noon I'll fire up the BBQ and cook sausages and hamburgers.  I'll also have some pop and water available.

I hope the weather cooperates.  If not, I may change to Monday as a back-up.  I'll post here later in the week if anything changes, but if you'd like an early morning weather report before you head out on Sunday, let me know here and I'll make an E-mail list (to be sure that I have your email address, send me a PM on this forum so I can add it).

My address is 94 William's Point Road, Caesarea.  ph# 416-828-8722

Here's a link to the location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.1187641,-78.8294363/44.1667605,-78.8187049/@44.1336413,-78.868689,14649m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hope you can make it!  Please let me know if you'll try to come, so I can estimate food and drink requirements.  Cool?

Robert

piker

BTW, you can tell which place is ours by the big, silver, Airstream in the driveway.

sihinch

It's so kind of you to offer this Piker! Thank you.

I would absolutely love to come but we have visitors. I may see if I can talk them in to it.

I may need some more float planes now!

Michael

At this point, I intend to be there, and the forecast is actually not so bad right now.
Michael

Wingnutz

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

octagon

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the invite. Finally a chance to fly at a time I can be there. My Cub and I will try to make it. I have yet to fly off water, so it should be....................interesting, fun, wet?
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

Excellent guys!  The forecast is getting better each day.  I worked from home today as we were getting a big tree cut down, and the float flying conditions were excellent for the first part of the day.  The wind and waves picked up a little more in the afternoon, but that's normal.

Skyking

Hi Robert,

I'd like to come if the weather co-operates.

Thanks,

Ken
Actually, I can.

piker

Sounds great, Ken!

Just to let you guy know what you can look forward to...

Wednesday Morning:

piker

This morning (Thursday):

eric

Rats! I'd love to come, but the whole day is taken up with family stuff (grandkid's hockey immediately followed by Thanksgiving lunch / dinner), so I can't wriggle out of it. Hope the weather's spectacular for you guys.

piker

Too bad, Eric.  I hope you miss an excellent morning of float flying!   ;D

Michael

The wind forecast is not optimal.

What is the wind like at 9am, generally?
Michael

Wingnutz

Seeing the same forecast as Michael...will decide in the morning.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hmmmm... Doesn't look good, does it.

Right now the water is quite calm with barely a breeze.  I'll post here at 6:30 in the morning, then again at 7:30 to report the conditions.

This morning was sunny and calm until after 12:00, then the winds pick up a bit for the afternoon.  It's almost always calm at 9:00am here, but we'll have to see about tomorrow.  The temperatures are rising overnight so I guess a front is moving in.

Let hope for the best!