2016 Kingston Electric Fun Fly

Started by Michael, January 07, 2016, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

I'm am looking forward to a great weekend.  My Dad will be there too!

Bigstik

I have it on good authority that the Guelph Contingent will be there.
Bigstik

Bigstik

Meant to ask, is there float flying arranged later in the day?
Bigstik

piker

Hey Alan,  I'm glad to hear you'll be there!  The more the merrier!

I haven't heard about any float fly plans specifically, but I would assume from the past, that the option will be there if enough people are interested.  That's how Martin usually leaves it.  Assuming Wilf is home, I'm sure we'll have the option of going to his place for a couple of hours of flying from water.  We usually aim to leave the Kingston flying field around 4:00 to head to Wilf's.

Let's see... I'll have three float planes, I know Michael plan's to bring his 8' Albatros (probably at least two float planes with him), Colin will have two water bombers, If Rob D can make it, he may have a couple float planes, I know Martin is usually good for a float plane or two, and if you bring something, we'll have a good showing.

Bigstik

Bigstik

octagon

Having not been to Kingston before I am unsure where the field is. Can someone offer directions? Also where is everyone staying? The weather looks very good at this point, sunny with low wind. Looking forward to it. There is also an air show on Sunday, at the Trenton Forces base that I may take in on the way back.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

From the 401... the field is here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.2822274,-76.7156893/44.3321383,-76.7892015/@44.2840944,-76.7292096,2535m/data=!3m1!1e3

Michael and I will be staying here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.2820974,-76.7225577/44.2803794,-76.7142087/@44.2808027,-76.7161857,634m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

I think it's called the Wilton Motel.  There MAY still be a vacancy, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm going early Friday hand will have lunch with my parents.  Michael and I will likely meet at the motel around 2:00 or 3:00.  From there I like to go to the local hobby shop, then after a bite to eat, if the weather looks nice we'll go to the field for some evening flying.  There are usually club members there getting some flying in before the electric guys take over for the weekend, and people will be setting up their campers for the weekend.

I hope a bunch of you guys can make it.  It's a GREAT field and it's nice to hang out with people we know as well as some we only see once a year.

On Saturday evening, we may go float flying.  Whether we do or not, we almost always go for dinner in town with the bunch of us out of towers and usually Martin and Maggie.

BTW, Martin always puts on a GREAT event with their famous english muffin and egg breakfast at the field both days, and a great BBQ lunch both days.  And Martin always has lots of awards to acknowledge the effort of the pilots and especially the builders.

octagon

Thanks Rob. Bringing the beaver and Tidewater, as well as a warbird or two and my Cub. I think that is all that will fit in the car.
See you Saturday.

piker

What about the M5?  Martin will love that plane!

bfeist

Hi guys. I'm in. I'm booked at the Wilton motel for Friday night and Saturday night. I'll be heading out noonish Friday. Looking forward to it!

piker

octagon

Hi guys,
Saturday is sold out but Friday night was still available at the Wilton, so I booked that and will just come back to Toronto Saturday after flying. Rob, the problem with bringing the Macchi is that it does not come apart, and the seats in the Genesis do not fold down. It will take up the entire trunk with all those wings and floats and stuff, and I can get 3 normal planes in the trunk instead, with 2 or 3 more in the main cabin. I want to leave Kingston no later than about 5:30 so I get home before it gets dark. What time do you usually go float flying?

piker

piker

And while I'm mapping stuff... Here are the directions to the local hobby shop (where I expect to be around 3:00 on Friday), and the Saturday dinner restaurants options are in the same area too.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.2826451,-76.7162895/44.2466141,-76.5687852/@44.2642178,-76.7680453,21952m/data=!3m1!1e3

octagon

I can unexpectedly take Friday off, so I will be down early too. I have decided on the Tidewater, The EF Beaver on floats, a sailplane, a P51, a Spitfire and a Hurricane. It will take a bit of Macgyvering, but I think I can get everything in. God I hope I remember my batteries!