Canadair CL-215 Waterbomber - scratch build

Started by Michael, February 14, 2016, 10:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Construction has started!

10 years ago I built a 60" wingspan CL-215 (see photo below) from thin foam board, and bits of wood an carbon fiber. It weighed 25 ounces and flew great, for a couple of years, anyway. It eventually crashed after taking on water and becoming tail heavy.

I finally decided to build another.

This one will have a wingspan of 72", and will be slightly heavier, and I will take measures to make sure the hull is waterproof.

I am not using any plans, other than a small 3-view, and I am making up the construction as I go.
Michael

Michael

Wing ribs cut using a hard balsa template.

Basic wing structure (nothing glued yet) with webbing and carbon fiber tube.
Michael

piker

Nice!  This will be a beaut!

And another awesome seaplane to aggravate Simon!   ;D

sihinch

I was just thinking - what a waste of an awesome build! Oh well.

Great project Michael, shame about the subject!

xxx

Oscar

Its a beautiful plane. Can't wait to see it maiden this summer.

Michael

Basic wing frame and bottom skin are done, including ribs, webs and leading edge. Total weight (including lots of epoxy) is 165 grams, or a bit less than 6 ounces.

Next will be the nacelles and motor mounts. I'll start that tomorrow.
Michael

bweaver

I'm impressed.  Keep us posted on the build.

Bruce  :D

wollins

Quote from: Oscar on February 14, 2016, 05:08:44 PM
Its a beautiful plane. Can't wait to see it maiden this summer.

Summer?  He'll be done this by next week Thursday! :)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Oscar

Michael

No, I won't finish it by Thursday! It'll take about a month, or 2 months at most.

Anyway, I just put another 2 hours work into it. I made parts for the inner nacelles, out of hard balsa and light plywood. These notch over the carbon fiber tube at the bottom, and at the top of the foam webbing, I epoxied in a carbon fiber flat rod, which will make this wing very strong.

Michael

sihinch

It does look like a fabulous build Michael. Congratulations. You're doing an awesome job of it.

Michael

Basic aileron frames and aileron bays are done.

There is still a lot to do for the wing: wing floats, servos, linkages, wiring for motors, nacelles and cowls, and plywood parts for holding the wing onto the fuselage, and of course, a top wing skin.

These will be done once the wing is mounted on the fuselage.

At this point, I'm putting the wing aside and I'll start thinking about how to build the fuselage.

Michael

sihinch

Michael

I bought the foam at local hobby stores.

I'm using epoxy for all foam-to-foam joints, and each joint is scratched and/or scored (cut) so the epoxy can 'bite' into the foam.
Michael

piker