Canadair CL-215 Waterbomber - scratch build

Started by Michael, February 14, 2016, 10:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Fuselage sides and formers have been made. (This is the fuselage side, but not including the cockpit/nose; that will be built later.)

I literally draw the 'plans' right onto the foam sheets.

Note in the photos, I tape sheets of foam together so I can cut 2 pieces at a time (to make sure they match), and I pin the foam to hold the straight edge in place, so cuts are accurate.

Formers are glued onto one side (using pins and paint cans to hold them perpendicular) and then the other side is glued on, upside down, because the top edge of the fuselage is straight.
Michael

Michael

Bottom front sheeting.

This will not be a scale model, but rather a semi-scale, or even 'stand-off' scale model.

The bottom should have a concave profile section on each side of the center, rather than flat, as I've built.

Also, since I expect the model to fly slowly, and to save weight, I did not put flaps in the wing.

Michael

Michael

Lower rear structure.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Beautiful build Michael.  Looks like it will be ready to test off snow really soon!  ;D

Andy

piker

Concave shape on the full size?  I don't think so.  I think flat is scale.

Michael

Michael

MarcV

Here's a photo I took of the CL215 at the Bushplane Museum in Sault Ste. Marie during the summer.
Marc

Michael

I've been working on the tail, which is taking a fair amount of thought-time.

The structure is flat, but built-up, and strong with carbon fiber supports.

Michael

bweaver

:D  Thought is good Michael, but the amount of thought you use doesn't seem to delay the project. You appear to make the necessary decisions and move on.   I have made a personal note. 

Looking great!

Michael

Main tail construction is done; still needs a lot of sanding and shaping, but before that, I'll start on the fuselage front/nose.
Michael

Michael

Lower half of the nose under construction. A basic frame, then sides and bottoms, all cut to fit.

Michael

Michael

Upper nose construction ...

Michael

piker

Very cool.   The foam looks like a fun material to work with.

Michael

The nose construction is done, but still needs more sanding.

It's beginning to look like Waterbomber!  ;D

Michael

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"