Canadair CL-215 Waterbomber - scratch build

Started by Michael, February 14, 2016, 10:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Thanks guys.

Cowls are made up of layers of blue foam, depron front and sheeting around.

Michael

bweaver

I just got back from holidays and have a lot of Forum to catch up on.....  Your aircraft is looking great.

Michael

Major construction is finished.

Both nacelles done, leading edge transition to fuselage, battery hatch.

Next: lightweight filler, sanding, fiberglass seams, hinges, linkages, paint with primer, paint, decorate, fly.

Michael

Michael

Michael

sihinch

It's incredible how fast you work. Amazing model. Well done.

Michael

Mostly sanded, fiberglassed (with epoxy) on all joints near water, aileron servos installed, and several coats of primer brushed on, to cover the various textures exposed.

Total weight with flight battery almost 60 ounces; wing loading almost 13 oz/sq ft.

Michael

BJROB

Michael
awesome job...Man
it looks so good...
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Michael

Great TEMAC builder's meeting tonight.

Robert helped me program differential throttle. It works, and now I'm going to program another twin-model the same.

Differential throttle, used when floating on water, in this case, is when only one motor on a twin is advanced, by moving the rudder, to help turn the plane.

Right rudder will activate the left motor, helping to pull the left wing forward and around, to turn the plane right, and vice-versa.

Also, I started painting a bit.

Michael

Oscar

Hi Michael - Good to see you have it workout on the DT.  Do you want me to bring in the radio in the next meeting to compare the setup?

piker

I'll speak for Michael.  I think you should   :)

The one thing we haven't been able to figure out is how to disable the channel functions that are normally linked to the switches that we want to use for the mix.  I can't recall if I was able to do it on my setups for my flying boats.  I'll check tonight.

Last year, when we tried to program Michael's radio for his Albatross, we would have been able to do the mixing as needed, but got hung up on how to disable the switches.  Then a whole bunch of distractions came into the discussion, and we gave up.   :P

Oscar

Michael

If you take a look at the image of the plane a few posts above, you can see that the top of the fuselage forward of the wing is flat. Even though this model is 'semi-scale' in nature, it just didn't look right. The images below show how I fixed that.

Michael

Michael

A bit more progress.
Michael

bweaver

Michael

Rudder and elevator hinges glued in.

It's looking more and more like a CL215 every day.

Michael