March MAAC Mag- TEMAC pylon guys- page 70

Started by Frank v B, March 24, 2016, 09:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

On page 70 of the new March 2016 MAAC mag it has a photo of last year's EF-1 races in Orangeville.  Four members of TEMAC went there.  The second guy from the left came in DFL.  My job was to make everyone else feel like winners. :)

One of the pylon judges kept calling my cuts.  How else am I supposed to catch up to the other guys? ;D

It was a great flying day thanks to Ken and the boys.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

cpaine

Very COOL!! I seen it online but no mag. in the mail yet....
maac #26951

Polecat

Quote from: cpaine on March 30, 2016, 10:27:37 AM
Very COOL!! I seen it online but no mag. in the mail yet....

I got my my mag. on March 18/016.

Ken
MAAC 2515

thehaze

Look at this motley crew! I had so much fun. If you think you might be even a tiny bit interested in racing EF-1... then do it! In all seriousness, any intermediate pilot can handle an EF-1 model, and if you need some encouragement, moral support, courage, then just ask and we will get you in the air and turning left in no time!

Hopefully we continue to add new pilots to the racing this season.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Hey Mike,

re "any intermediate pilot can handle an EF-1 model, and if you need some encouragement, moral support, courage,"

Your forgot to add ... and $400-$500! :)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on March 31, 2016, 10:50:55 PM
Hey Mike,

re "any intermediate pilot can handle an EF-1 model, and if you need some encouragement, moral support, courage,"

Your forgot to add ... and $400-$500! :)

Frank

Right on Frank!

(OMG!  Did I really say that?!  I better gargle with soap! :o  )

thehaze

Yes, my bad. No the planes aren't free..

But I would say that the cost is not out of line with any other model similar in size and quality. Here's what you'd need:

1. EF-1 ARF $199
2. 60A ESC ~$100
3. 3 to 4 Micro servos ~$175
4. Power 25 motor (1250kv)~$100
5. 4S 2650 battery ~$75

Plus a receiver of your choice.

So yes, not nooner cheap, but hey you get what you pay for.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Polecat

Quote from: thehaze on April 01, 2016, 06:50:06 PM
Yes, my bad. No the planes aren't free..

But I would say that the cost is not out of line with any other model similar in size and quality. Here's what you'd need:

1. EF-1 ARF $199
2. 60A ESC ~$100
3. 3 to 4 Micro servos ~$175
4. Power 25 motor (1250kv)~$100
5. 4S 2650 battery ~$75

Plus a receiver of your choice.

So yes, not nooner cheap, but hey you get what you pay for.

Right on Mike, you get what you for, these little F 1's are good looking planes and really fly well. Also you can sport fly them with a 3c 3300 pack and a 9x6 prop.

cpaine

EF-1 was intended to be on the cheaper side when it was first introduced ??? they tried to utilize Hobby King stuff, but..."you get what you pay for" and that stuff became unreliable. >:(
Enter the the good electronics=$$. lol i have cheap foamies worth 300!!
add the beauty and good flight characteristics, and EF-1 is a good bang for the buck!
Anywho... hope to see all you guys out there this year, and maybe some new guys that want to give it a try.
Go fast. Turn Left!
Cheers
maac #26951

cpaine

The tree hugger will live again!! New wing, ready to go.
Simon, is your tree friendly plane all fixed up?
maac #26951

sihinch

Well, a version of it, yes!!! It's not quite "original"

Frank v B

Cory,

re: "Simon, is your tree friendly plane all fixed up?"

The real question is ....Has the tree recovered yet? :D

The plane will be ready to fly in about a week.

Frank

cpaine

well that's  good news...Frank the fix it man?!
I was shocked at how destroyed mine was... no saving a foam wing once the foam is crushed....well I guess you can but I had extra cores kicking around, so made a brand new wing.
maac #26951

Frank v B

Cory,

Simon's plane is finished.  Many thanks to Ken F. for donating the Hobby King Red when I saw him at the 905 Squadron Swap meet.  The colour was perfect.  I even matched the black checkerboard pattern on the wing.

As far as your surprise at how destroyed the wing was, Simon's had a 12" section of the leading edge cut back about 2".  I inserted solid balsa and carved the secret airfoil into it.  The trailing edge was missing pieces and the balsa skin had separated in a few areas.  The damage was quite extensive.  In the fuselage, the front section was severely damaged back to the leading edge of the wing.  All the plywood lightning holes had crushed or broken in some way.  It was carefully pieced together, glued and then re-inforced with plywood, balsa, glue and fibreglass.

Thanks for the challenge and thanks for reminding me to get the effen repair done in your April 9 post.

We used the model in the first 4 build classes entitled "how to repair a crashed airplane".  No shortage of examples in our club. :D

Regards,

Frank