Ryerson did well in the contest

Started by Frank v B, May 06, 2016, 08:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Got the following update from Zarana:

Hi Frank,

The competition went quite well, it was a wonderful experience and big learning curve. We all had a lot of fun along with intense competition work. On Saturday of the competition, we broke our flying wing as we had to bring it down (un-controlled crash/landing), but on Sunday we did complete part of the task with our Hex. We didn't get final placement in the competition, but according to the partial scores provided, we should be around 9th out of 14 teams.

For the first year, we are all very happy with this placement. We hope to do more testing and do much better next year :)

To which I answered:

Zarana,

Thanks for the update.  All of you are much wiser for the experience and I hope the TEMAC involvement helped you get there. 

Here's my view on a 9th out of 14 placing. 

1) Terrific! Eight teams may have beaten you on the day.  You not only beat the 5 teams that placed behind you, you beat every team who did not care or dare to show up.  Add up the number of universities who could have competed but did not.  They did not even get out of bed in the morning.

2) These contests mimic life.  The victory is not the placing.  The victory is learning how to get all your team-mates going in the same direction.  Every person has a range of abilities and your job as a team was to get the best possible result.  A single person could never achieve that.

My view would have been the same whether you placed 1st or 14th.  You did well, you are to be congratulated and we are ready to help you in the next contest.  Challenge us!

Regards on behalf of all the TEMAC members and the executive.

Frank

to which Andy answered:

And, of course, the REAL victory was being able to cope with Frank's instruction.  If you can do THAT, you can do ANYTHING!!

Congrats!

Andy

To which Simon added:
Ryerson Team! You just finished in the top 10 of a national competition!

You are one of the 10 best teams in the whole of Canada!!

That's awesome!

It's been such a fun project and great flying with you all. Keep coming back!

Cheers
Simon
"Never trade luck for skill"