Wings.. Everything you needed to know about getting your wings at TEMAC

Started by thehaze, May 24, 2016, 10:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Much like the caramilk secret, the process of earning your wings is a tightly guarded secret. Known only by a select few until now...

Here is a full description of the contents of the wings test...

That's it.

The truth is, there is no "test" in reality, everyday you train at TEMAC you are taking the test. The path to earning your wings is a culmination of several flights and a few other items. Everyone takes a different amount of time to get there so don't feel that you can just tear your way through the program and earn them in a weekend. At TEMAC, we take the wings program seriously. Why you ask? Well for starters we like the club and want it to last a long time. That means not risking a lawsuit after a wayward model ends up on the road or in someone's windshield. Secondly, once you earn you wings, you become a representative of the club, both at our field and those you visit. We don't want other clubs unleashing terror on us, and so we need to reciprocate. Plus if I'm ever going to stand a chance at getting a mention in MAAC magazine for anything cooler than "best crash" I can't hand out wings like Simon hands cash over to hobby king.

So on to the good part. How do you earn your wings? Here's the secret..

1. Show up to training nights ready to fly and with a good attitude. This whole thing is supposed to be fun, so let remember that.

2. Fly a trainer type model with precision and control.. Consistently. Which means once you are off the buddy box, fly lots and practice, practice, practice. I'm looking for control here, so no mental lapses, smooth control (without Safe mode), stay in the pattern, and don't make you landings look like a fluke. And you need to do this over a number of appearances at the club, not just on one occasion. Conditions change and I want to see you adapt to them (example: can you do both left and right hand circuits)

3. Be courteous. Follow the rules (even the annoying ones) call out your intentions, and play nice with the other people at the club.

4. Be a good member of the club. Get involved. And show us that you want to be a member of TEMAC, not just there to earn your wings and move on. Nobody at TEMAC gets paid to do the things they do for the club, and to support everyone else's enjoyment of the hobby. If you take more than you give, then you need to rethink your decision to join.

5. Pretend that Rogo's jokes are funny.

If you do all these things, some day you will get your wings.

Now, not all clubs follow this approach, and this is fine. MAAC lets the clubs decide how they want to deal with this topic and we've had a lot of success doing what we are doing, so we aren't looking to change. So charge your batteries and I'll see you at the field.

Mike
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

What about being able to control their visceral fear of flying when Andy and/or Frank are in the air too?!! ;D

Andy

piker

Mike, can you please clarify....

Once we HAVE our wings, do we STILL need to pretend Michael's jokes are funny?

I just need to know my responsibilities as a TEMAC member in good standing...

thehaze

Quote from: piker on May 25, 2016, 09:53:42 AM

I'd say you're on your own on this.

thehaze

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on May 25, 2016, 07:19:51 AM
What about being able to control their visceral fear of flying when Andy and/or Frank are in the air too?!! ;D

Andy

I think that this would be setting to high of a bar for people to overcome....

Michael

Quote from: piker on May 25, 2016, 09:53:42 AM

Anyone who thinks my jokes aren't funny, is obliged to offer a funnier joke!

Michael