Back in the game ...

Started by Michael, February 04, 2018, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

After doing OK in the EF1 races in Orangeville in late summer, I was disappointed in my crash of my Shoestring after 3 years of no problems, in a simple sport flight. I took the guts from that plane and transplanted then into my new kit-built Sig Kobra, and I was uncertain about my future participation in EF1 racing.

Well, at our January meeting/auction/swap-meet, I bought a nicely built and fully equipped Scarlet Screamer EF1 racer from Octagon. (I think it was built by Ken Fluney. I have since bound it to my transmitter, re-installed the motor (there was a bit of up-thrust), and tightened things up. I still need to adjust the throws (suggestions are welcome) and install a pilot.

Right now it has a 9/4.3 prop with which Rob was flying. I'll use that in test flights and for trimming, and then I'll switch to an 8/8 prop.

It seems a bit nose heavy. Is that a problem?
Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

re:"It seems a bit nose heavy. Is that a problem?"

My personal opinion- the faster the plane, the more nose-heavy I make it (ahead of the spar).  There is nothing tougher than controlling squirrily plane at 150 km/h.  I have 3 planes with EF-1 motors and all 3 are nose-heavy.  Any squirrily flying is the fault of the guy at the sticks. ;D

Better check with Ken F and Corey for the definitive answer.

FWIW.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Polecat

Frank
Some guy's play around with the CG to get the plane to perform little better. Its better to have the plane a little nose heavy for the first few trim flights and adjust the CG from testing.
A nose heavy airplane will drop in a tite turn at no. 1 pylon and tail heavy could be big trouble.

Ken

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Polecat on February 05, 2018, 11:09:59 AM
Frank
Some guy's play around with the CG to get the plane to perform little better. Its better to have the plane a little nose heavy for the first few trim flights and adjust the CG from testing.
A nose heavy airplane will drop in a tite turn at no. 1 pylon and tail heavy could be big trouble.

Ken

I'll bet @Frank v B could write an encyclopedia on nose-heavy planes dropping!!!  ;D

ANDY

Frank v B

Andy,

re:"I'll bet @Frank v B could write an encyclopedia on nose-heavy planes dropping!!!  ;D"

Gotta be good at something!! 
"Dropping" must be a slow and controlled version of"planting" :D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Occasionally I try to be kind and polite!!   ;D

Andy

Polecat

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 05, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Frank

Ken

I'll bet @Frank v B could write an encyclopedia on nose-heavy planes dropping!!!  ;D

ANDY

Now Andy be nice. lol

Ken

Frank v B

Ken,

re:"Now Andy be nice. lol"

You did not think Andy would change.... for the better..... overnight?

Andy will always be Andy.

Frank

Michael

I am posting this information here (from Ken Fluney) so I have a record of it.

CG: 2.56 inches, from the LE measured where the wing meets the fuselage.
Throws: (these are for good general flying, a little less for racing) Elevator 10mm, rudder 10mm and aileron 6mm.

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Polecat on February 06, 2018, 12:57:49 PM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 05, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Frank

Ken

ANDY

Now Andy be nice. lol

Ken

Frank always brings out the best in me!!!  8)

Andy

thehaze

Michael,

You'll be happy with that airframe. I had it's twin "The Outrageous" for a few seasons and it was a really good flying model. If I recall I had my throws pretty much spot on with the manual and didn't see much need to change them. High rates for take off and landing and low for racing. I never did much sport flying with it. A bad landing attempt did mine in, but it wasn't an issue with the model, that one was on the pilot.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: thehaze on February 09, 2018, 12:44:27 PM
Michael,

You'll be happy with that airframe. I had it's twin "The Outrageous" for a few seasons and it was a really good flying model. If I recall I had my throws pretty much spot on with the manual and didn't see much need to change them. High rates for take off and landing and low for racing. I never did much sport flying with it. A bad landing attempt did mine in, but it wasn't an issue with the model, that one was on the pilot.

Michael has promised me that he will not crash this plane!!  That was my condition for letting him buy it from Rob D! 

Andy