Piker Race (06/18/16)

Started by battlestu, June 13, 2016, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

Get your planes ready for Race number two!!

So far the weather forecast is looking good.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Frank v B

I should be able to make it.  What time?  The usual 1 pm?

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

battlestu

same bat time ... same bat channel :)

(yes 1:00)

Frank v B

My Pogo is back in action.  Built a new elevator half out of balsa with carbon veil and 5 minute epoxy.  Glenn, a bite now will cost you a prop!  ;D

Frank

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

battlestu

Straight Outta Stouffville...

sihinch

thehaze

Race report..

It was a packed house at TEMAC as the pilots assembled for the second race in the series. The prelims were a heated affair with Frank taping his plane together, Greg worrying that he might actually have to fly, and Mike chugging gatorade like it was going to help him. Finally the finals were set, and against all odds, everyone qualified.

It was a back and forth affair with the lead exchanging hands constantly. The air was still and hot, and the pilots were sweaty. After a random number of laps, the race was over. Still waiting on the results. Perhaps this well shot video (hey I tucked a GoPro in my hat) will sort it out..enjoy.

I want to thank all those pilots who may or may not be faster than me for not showing up. IBATGWDNSU!

https://youtu.be/8iHwuoMr434

Frank v B

Mike,

3 minutes and 40 seconds of video of clouds.  10 seconds of the video contain an airplane.  The video looked like you staggered home from a bar. ;D  Did you pass the sobriety test?  But Officer.....

It was a hoot.  The best part was Andy flying low over the field at exactly 1 pm in his  "Buttonville doesn't know yet I stole their Cessna" airplane.   He did two circuits and waggled his wings and left northbound.  He was just too scared that we could fly faster than him with our EF-1's!

Hey Andy, Graham was working with the farmers today harvesting our carefully seeded balsa airplane parts.  So far all he showed me from his harvest was a small nose wheel. We had thought we would be able to harvest a lot more than that for the 3-4 planes we used to till the soil. :D

Frank

Oscar

That small nose wheels may belongs to Ricky.  He flew Friday evening and crashed his Parkzone Archer.  He searched the field but it's too dark for me.  You can give it to me.  I will be at the field tomorrow.   :D

thehaze

Now now.. There was at least 30 seconds of the video that contained actual footage of planes racing. Either way I think the clouds and EF1 plane noise added a certain artistic quality to the whole thing. Plus, this way we can lie about how smoothly we flew..

gmcnic

Indeed, I took the opportunity to go out and meet John and his family working the field.  They operate a family farm, including dairy cattle, on Kennedy Rd. north of Stouffville Rd.  His wife, son, and daughter were all hands on today.  His 13-year old daughter is driving the raking tractor.  They were making cubed and rolled bales of clover.  The rolled bales are 5 feet in diameter and weigh approx. 700 lbs each.  We enjoyed a view of the races from the field.  They also enjoyed seeing last evening's night flying by Oscar and crew.

https://youtu.be/4pFdFfMKdsI

https://youtu.be/iX28f7-3TUI

gmcnic

...meanwhile, Frank vB re-somethinged his Sky Lifter (or something) before the races.  I was worried when he requested a photo before the flight, but as you can see in the video, all went well for Mr. vB.

https://youtu.be/-5kZHP73u5o

Frank v B

Thanks for the video Graham.  I thought I only did 3 circuits but you proved I cannot count.  This is the model I used in this winter's build class.  Scratch built from British plans called Mr. Shifter.  It has 60" span, a Turnigy 60 on 6 cells, weighs about 6 pounds and draws 37 amps static.  There will be a larger prop on it next time aiming to draw about 45 amps.  The current prop is 13 x 10.  Still have to finish the covering job, add a pilot and a canopy.

The plane has flaps which I never deployed (see my "How I maiden airplanes" article.... no flaps, loops or anything fancy.  Just bring it back in one piece).  The take-off and the entire flight did not exceed 2/3 throttle. After the landing, my right wheel came off (collar came off) which pulled the plane rightward and off the runway.  Then I over-corrected with rudder and it spun left where it came to rest.

It flew like it were on rails.  Good feeling.

Frank

bweaver

:)  Frank,  Great looking plane and maiden flight...