Laminating Film For Sale

Started by vicwhit, June 25, 2016, 05:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicwhit

I have 5 mil Low Melt Laminating Film, 18" wide available for 35 cents per foot. This is great film that will make your foam models stronger and more durable, while reducing flexing. While there will be a few added grams in weight, the results will more than offset the gain. Models fly with much more response and predictability. I love the stuff and have used it on three different airplanes with super results. The film needs only a regular hobby iron to apply.

For more info, Google "Laminating RC airplane" and watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqkUmWkrmI  or reply to me.

Minimum order 10' please.
Do it while you can.

sihinch

I'll take some please Vic. 10ft for me.

Candu

Vic, This is 3 times thicker than your last roll (1.7mil), is that right?

vicwhit

This is 5 mil and is much stronger than the 1.7 mil. The 1.7 mil is good when you want to seal and not necessarily add strength.
Sadly I don't have any 1.5 mil available.
Do it while you can.

Candu

OK, let me try some.  I'll take $5 bux worth, Vic. Thanks.

Frank

wollins

Quote from: vicwhit on June 25, 2016, 05:01:32 PM
I have 5 mil Low Melt Laminating Film, 18" wide available for 35 cents per foot. This is great film that will make your foam models stronger and more durable, while reducing flexing. While there will be a few added grams in weight, the results will more than offset the gain. Models fly with much more response and predictability. I love the stuff and have used it on three different airplanes with super results. The film needs only a regular hobby iron to apply.

For more info, Google "Laminating RC airplane" and watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqkUmWkrmI  or reply to me.

Minimum order 10' please.

How is it for paint? Does paint adhere to it?
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Am interested but don't know if you missed my question?  How is it for paint? Does paint adhere to it?

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Candu

I paint over my 1.0mil and 1.7mil films with no problems so far but I found the paint can peel off easily along with the tape if you try to remove any tape that was used over the painted surface.

vicwhit

I haven't had much experience with painting over the film yet. I have tried a sample by spraying a scratch pad roughed surface and directly using rattle can spray paint. I have not tried any Masking tape yet. I will soon though.
On my Blue Arrow I have used coloured tape and that seems to hold up well.

Update:
I did some testing of painted laminate as above. I found that pulling the masking tape off also lifted off the paint with a weird effect. The result is little lines of missing paint, not areas or patches as one would expect. Note that the lines that appear as black are actually clear laminate with no foam underneath. The area on the left has blue foam under it.

To minimize the effect, I pulled the tape off slowly and folding back on itself. Don't pull up!

This test panel was painted about one week ago so I don't know what would happen if you tried the same thing on freshly painted surfaces.
Do it while you can.

vicwhit

I am starting a list here of tips that I have found while working with laminate films. You will find that you get better as you gain experience. There is a lot of art to this science.

Iron Temperate
I have a Monokote hobby iron and set it to a notch over 2 when laminating. Test/experiment to find what works best for you.

Stronger Adhesion
Most foam surfaces are fuzzy if you look at them with a magnifying glass. This is especially true after shaping/sanding blue styrofoam and stripping the paper off foamboard. For best adhesion of the laminate film, it is best to "seal" the foam surface. Drop the heat down a notch or two on the iron and run the iron over the surface of the foam. Too hot will You will see the difference easily. Try your own tests of strips of laminate on sealed and non-sealed surfaces to see the difference in holding power.

Pebble Effect
Large-cell styrofoam surfaces will deform after heating resulting in a pebbled effect. Sorry, but I know no way around it.

Wrinkle Free
Work from the centre of an area while ironing, moving out evenly on each side. This will help to eliminate wrinkles.

Round Edges
Working with round surfaces takes a little practice and patience. For example, on a rounded wingtip, make cuts at the edge where you want it to fold around, making multiple "tabs". The smaller the radius, the smaller the tabs. Iron the taps around the edge one at a time. You can laminate the opposite surface to cover just to the edge so you don't have tabs on both sides. Covering convex or concave surfaces will always be a compromise. Its like trying to put wallpaper on a basketball.

Bubbles
Bubbles are troubles that can be dealt with by pin pricking the bubble at one of the edges and then ironing the bubble toward the pin pricks. It seems to me that this is caused by the foam "off-gassing" over time and may also be activated by heat from sitting in the car or out in the sun. Holding the surface down while it cools also helps. PS: use a rag or take the pain. Your choice.

Do it while you can.

Crazyflyer

Some people who laminate foam wings also spray some 3M Super 77 glue, let it dry for 20mins then apply the laminate.
You can also spray paint, then Super77, then apply the laminate. Just be careful not to let the iron touch the paint or glue, otherwise you will need to clean the iron right away.
I saw a few videos about it but never tried myself... yet!

https://youtu.be/nPKtiD80ZbQ

Stephan

bweaver

:) A number of people at last nights meeting were interested in my suggested use of plastic laminate film covering. 

I have brought forward this topic for ease of reference and to obtain the contact information as well. 

I will also bring some of the laminate film and some examples of how I have used it on a few aircraft to the next building session in two weeks.

piker

I remember this thread now!   :)

If this is the stuff I'm thinking of... probably the thinner stuff (5mil)... I'd be interested in purchasing, say... 20ft if it's available.

Robet

BJROB

I'd be interested in some as well
I'll take 10 bucks worth
thanks
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

I'll send an email to Vic to alert him to the interest and remind him to include my commission in the sales.   :P