Field preparation

Started by Michael, May 27, 2004, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

May 27, 2004

The TEMAC discussion thread has seen 1,000 readers; a record on the EMFSO website.

Work has begun on the field at TEMAC. The runway portion of the field has been harrowed. Early next week the field will be smoothed, grass seeds will be planted and then the field will be rolled.

The non-runway portion of the field has seen quite a few members flying their planes, so...

I am planning, weather permitting, to be at TEMAC this Saturday afternoon, May 29, at about 2:30 pm. I will install fences as boundries for parking and flying, and I will put up a frequency board. I may also install a drainage pipe to clear away the water on the drive way.

If any paid up TEMAC members want to come out and fly some models (small parkflyers, or planes that can be hand launched and belly landed), and perhaps help with the set up a bit, please let me know by email, or just show up.

Just in case, you may want to wear boots if the fiels is a bit soggy. If anyone wants to qualify for their wings (pilot certificate), please let me know ahead of time and I will arrange for an instructor to be present.

I may also be out on Sunday morning, like we used to at 14th. I'll post a note Saturday night to confirm.

Michael
President
TEMAC

[email protected]

Michael
Michael

piker

Michael,

Sunday morning is looking better for me.  I'll have to play it by ear tomorrow (Sat.) but I'm sure I'll be in the middle of something at mid afternoon.  Sunday Morning I can get out of the house before any work can be assigned to me :-)

Still, call me Saturday afternoon and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and where's the big announcement about TEMAC's latest acquisition?

Robert

gordonbw

This afternoon I was at the TEMAC field with the Rogozinsky sqadron.  We installed fencing to define the parking lot and pit areas, so I believe the field is now "MAAC legal" or close thereto.  The TEMAC field has tremendous potential -- it's a huge area.  Even now, with the runway still in preparation, it is quite flyable for handlaunch planes.  And, I am now the proud recipient of the first TEMAC Wings certificate.

So, come on up, everydody -- in time, this will be a great facility!

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
"Crashing builds character. Really!"

Edited by - gordonbw on 29 May 2004  5:28:24 PM

Michael

We had a great time.
Anybody else joining us tomorrow morning? (Note the field is rough, so bring an appropriate model).

Se photos and information here.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.rogozinsky/temac-news.htm

Michael
Michael

piker

I plan to be there Sunday morning as does Tracy (he plans to join shortly).

But Michael, you're supposed to dig holes with that thing.  A hammer looks quite different.

Anyway, the pictures look great and I look forward to flying at TEMAC.

I'll bring my shovel and plan to do some digging.  Did you get the pipe ?

Robert

Michael

I got the pipe.

Robert: Gordon flew his Formosa there; you should have no trouble flying yours and landing it.

I also purchased a mechanical lawn mower for TEMAC, with which I plan to cut a runway tomorrow so I can have my Porterfield take off.

Michael
Michael

piker

I'll bring my Cub, Formosa, and whatever else I can toss together.

I called Glenn and he plans to be there too.

See ya.

Robert

Michael

May 30, 2004 - What a great day for flying at TEMAC! I showed up early (8:30am) and started ...

Check out all the updates on the TEMAC WHAT'S HAPPENING page.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.rogozinsky/temac-news.htm

Michael
Michael

piker

It was a great morning of flying.  We were having so much fun flying that we didn't want to stop to dig the ditch.  I flew 5 flights with 3 planes.

Michael, I'm glad the rolling helped.  It'll be fine to use the "infield" area for the time being while the real runway gets established.

See you next weekend!

Or, is anyone into Thursday evening flying?

Robert

Michael

Wow! Things are progressing fast!

André (Wedseltoft) and John (Werner) worked at TEMAC today, breaking up the soil, levelling the runway area, and planting grass seeds. They worked most of today, working in the rain! We all owe them big time. While TEMAC will pay for specific costs, André and John saved us big money with their know-how and labour. We will all benifit from a first class field! They even flattened further the temporary runway.

Please - please - please -

Stay off of the runway area (the soil where the grass seeds were planted) for the next month. This will assure that the grass grows evenly and well.

Please keep checking these posts to see when more flying will take place.

(In case anybody is worried, I took home the windsock. I want to install it better so that it won't be stolen.)

Please note: 38 paid up members!

Michael
Michael

piker

That's great that they put so much effort in and got the work done.  John was even taking the tractor back to the cottage this evening then coming back home (2 hour each way in the dark and rain).  I don't know if Andre went with him.

John and Andre.  Great work.  Thank you for doing that.  Just in time for a good soakin' in.  I hope the seed takes.

TEMAC is really coming together thanks to Michael, and now John and Andre.  We can all benfit from their hard work.

I hope the kids don't go on that area with their dirt bikes.  Perhaps some signs should be posted asking them not to.

Robert

Michael

John and André and John's daughter worked the field at TEMAC again today. I am told by both John and André that the runway  is now superbly flat and smooth, and the temporary runway is much smoother now too. Wow!

Everyone is asked to help out a bit on the weekend as follows; there are many rocks on and near the runway that must be moved. If several people can come up with pails and move away some of the rocks near the trees at the north-west corner, that would help a lot. And it would only take a few minutes.

Then of course, members are welcome to fly, but remember - stay off the planted runway.

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

I am told  that the runway  is now superbly flat and smooth, and the temporary runway is much smoother now too. Wow!

I've posted two photos on the image gallery. Before and after. Look for Temac.

Michael

It looks like a light brown carpet!

Impressive!

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

[Everyone is asked to help out a bit on the weekend as follows; there are many rocks on and near the runway that must be moved. If several people can come up with pails and move away some of the rocks near the trees at the north-west corner, that would help a lot. And it would only take a few minutes.

With the rain last night, the runway may be too wet to step onto. It would be prudent to stay off the runway proper until the grass is well sprouted. There are however two piles of rocks along the edge of the runway (seek and ye shall find) that need moving to the point where there is an existing pile at the point where the road passes the trees the low spot. If you could dump there it would be great. Those rocks can be used for drainage under the road.

Then of course, members are welcome to fly, but remember - stay off the planted runway.

Michael
[/quote]

Edited by - slo-poke on 02 Jun 2004  5:19:05 PM