Flying at TEMAC

Started by Michael, June 04, 2004, 11:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

The proper runway at TEMAC has had its initial cut. It's still not short enough, but the gardener will improve on it by next week.

Flying on Sunday morning, July 25.

Adam and I will be at the Toronto RC club from about 8:30 to 10am with the other electric flyers, and then (when the gas flyers start) we're off to TEMAC 'till about noon or so.

If anyone wants to join us at either or both, please do. Our plans may change. I can be reached Sunday morning on my cell phone if at 416-347-0006 for any reason.

Michael
Michael

Michael

We have 43 members now! Several are brand new flyers.

I went to TEMAC on Monday morning. I used our manual mower to cut part of the runway very short so that I could take off with small wheels. I was able to cut the grass to about 1" height. I also cut a strip down the new runway. It was hard to cut but it was very flat. Once cut short, this will be a great runway.

The entire field is scheduled to be cut on Thursday evening, so the grass may be a little thick up till then. It should be in good condition this weekend.

I see that several people are planning on flying this coming Wednesday evening - July 28. I think rain is predicted, however, if it's dry, I will go up during the day and cut some grass for you all, and I'll do some flying during the day. I have other plans for Wednesday evening.

Should Wednesday evening's flying be 'rained out', may I suggest Thursday night if it's dryer? I'll call the gardener to see what time he finishes cutting the grass. Once cut, the flying should be good.

I will not be at TEMAC this coming weekend, or during the next week. I will be there next week Sunday morning, probably about 10:30am.

If anyone wants to borrow the manual lawn mower for TEMAC, let me know by this Thursday.

I may have mentioned this before, but I would like to have some kind of meeting for all TEMAC members early Fall '04. I would like to organise next years' flying to the satisfaction of everyone, plan a proper funfly next year, and perhaps negotiate with the farmer for a larger piece of land, stretching further to the south; it's still hard to land coming in over the trees on the north. Our expenses should be more focused next year, with most money going towards a lease and lawn care.

Michael
Michael

destinyy

I'm certainly game for Thursday night if we get rained out tomorrow.  I also saw that forecast.  But Thursday evening works for me just as well.

Michael,  TEMAC field sounds really great!  I can't wait to see it finally.  And I'll be looking forward to that fall meeting as well, whenever it may be**

D.

piker

I too can do Thursday if necessary (or as well ).  But let's not give up on Wednesday (tomorrow) if the weather improves.  

Robert

destinyy

I'm game for either or both days.  I have both evenings relatively free.  I get off work around 6pm and will try to make it down to the flying field as soon as I can thereafter.  I'll need to head home for a quick stop in Woodbridge (at my house) to gather equipment.  Then I'll drive up to TEMAC.  Weather permitting, of course.  :)

destinyy

It's looking pretty bleak and wet out there ... ... if the weather doesn't improve much I think we might need rubber boots in the field..!  I think if it's still like this into the early afternoon I might try the Thursday evening thing instead.

Michael

I was up at TEMAC Wednesday morning.

I tried to cut the lawn but it was too wet and difficult to do. The driveway is very wet, and I wouldn't recommend driving in unless you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle or if it dries up considerably. I had to wear boots.

Despite being alone on a wet and not-well-kept field, I still flew 2 planes for about 45 minutes and had a great time. There was a very slight north wind, which is perfect for our field, and it was very cloudy, which meant there was no sun in my eyes.

If you go tonight, have fun. It seems the forcast looks better for tomorrow.

I still plan to call the gardener to find out what time he finishes mowing. I plan to fly tomorrow.

Michael
Michael

destinyy

Unfortunately I won't be able to be there tonight.  My production coordinator just informed me I have to have my creative team produce three commercial story boards by 3pm tomorrow afternoon so we'll be burning the midnight oil here.   ... I will be there Thursday though (the gods permitting!!!).    Crazy industry...

piker

I'm going tonight (Wednesday) as is Andre, Tracy, and probably Glenn.

I'll try to make tomorrow too.  The kids don't mind

Robert

Michael

I spoke to the gardener. He will cut the grass mid-late afternoon on Thursday. Good weather is predicted.

I'll be there late Thursday afternoon until mid-evening, enjoying the nice summer weather and dry low cut grass/weeds.

Michael
Michael

piker

I'll be there between 6:00 and 6:30.  I'll bring a shovel if you bring the pipe.  It's getting pretty sloppy on that road in.

We had a fantastic evening of flying tonight.  It was dead calm and green and lush.  Andre, Tracy, Dave, Glenn and I  were there.  At one point there were 4 planes in the air (5 if you count the full size flying by).

Around 8:30, Daphne arrived and Andre helped her get her Slow Stick trimmed out.  It flew very well, as did Daves Firebird type plane.  Glenn flew his Bristol Scout biplane there tonight too.

I'll be looking for another nice evening tomorrow.

Robert

Michael

I'll be there with the piping.

Michael
Michael

gordonbw

Is anyone planning to fly on Friday evening (July 30)?

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
“Crashing builds character. Really!”

Michael

Another great evening at TEMAC!

Adam and I got up to TEMAC just before 6pm and met the gardener. He had just finished cutting the grass and the new runway looked great.

We had a couple flights and then Robert Pike showed up. The 3 of us (mostly Robert and Adam) dug up the wet part of the driveway and installed a culvert/tube to drain water. Just as all the hard work was finished Glenn Nikolaiko showed up - just in time for flying.

Also, new member Daphne Simone came by and brought her mom. Adam spent some time training Daphne, who was soon able to fly nicely and even made a nice landing.

At one point we had 4 planes in the air. The wind was almost calm and the sun was far behind our backs.

Robert and Glenn flew their Piper Cubs, doing repeated touch-n-goes across the newly cut runway. Glenn also flew his T33 jet and a helicopter.

If you haven't been keeping up to date with what's been happening at TEMAC, see our What's Happening Page - http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.rogozinsky/temac-news.htm

Michael
Michael

destinyy

... And might I just say again what a FABULOUS TIME I had this evening.  One of the best flights I've ever had, thanks in large part to Adam's great instruction.  He's a great teacher!  My mum (who's a nature photographer) took a few photos, but she only had her macro camera lens with her for taking tiny details on iddy-biddy objects (like mating insects!) so the shots of the planes in flight were fuzzy at best.  She wasn't planning on photographing the flying, so she apologized for the quality later! :)  Anyway I thought I'd post a few shots anyway since she had them.

My Slowstick after two successful first flights with Adam! (not counting the trimming done by Andre for me yesterday :)
http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/2.jpg" border=0>

You'll all have to fill in the rest of the names of your planes (I'll just number them!)  

1.  Michael's Tigermoth ( ? )
http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/3.jpg" border=0>

http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/5.jpg" border=0>

http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/6.jpg" border=0>

4... well, this one's mine. ;)
http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/8.jpg" border=0>

5. Michael and Adam's Diabolotin Super (sans rudder.... ulp!)
http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/12.jpg" border=0>

6.  Rob's Scale " ____ " ?
http://destinyy.com/flight/july29/13.jpg" border=0>

Edited by - destinyy on 29 Jul 2004  11:06:36 PM