Success! Ryerson test flight noon Sunday Sept 4

Started by Frank v B, September 02, 2016, 10:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

We will be helping Ryerson with their telemetry plane.  This plane has as much electronics stuff in it as Frank Candu and Oscar's planes combined  :D.  Alton hopes to get there by about noon.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

We had two successful flights with the Ryerson student-designed plane.  About 7' wingspan with a .46-ish motor on 6 cells.  The first flight was hair-raising when it suddenly lurched up after take-off at about 30 foot altitude.  It went straight up and then straight down after my correction.  Applied full power and full up elevator and it came back nicely.  After about two circuits it did it again but at least it was after most of the trimming had been done.  The landing was fast and it did make it through my arrestor net (tall grass around the perimeter of the field) and landed (again) about 10 feet into the beans.  Classic tail-heavy symptoms.  I strongly suspect that thermals from the strong sun in the location initiated the pitch-up both times.  Graham mentioned there were small dust devils just before I arrived.

For the second flight the battery was shoved forward about 1/2" to move the CG forward.  I then dove into my repairmobile and pulled out about 3' of plumbing solder and wrapped it around the fuselage behind the motor mount.  It totally solved the tail heaviness problem.  The second flight was very controlled and was about one tenth the difficulty of the first flight.

Alton showed me the video taken from the starboard wingtip.  He also had a camera on the top of the fin.  He promised to send some of the footage to us.

The flight was witnessed by a Ryerson professor who is helping Alton with his thesis. 

The plane has full telemetry and read-outs on the laptop in real time.  He gave me battery readings as the flight went on.

A neat experience. 8)

Thank you to the Club members who showed interest in the project and were good enough to land when we were ready and gave us full use of the runway and airspace.  Thanks Simon Chapman, Greg, Michael, Rob D. and Graham.

Frank

octagon

I showed interest alright. After the takeoff of the first flight, when the plane went crazy,  I ran and hid under a table. Nice recovery Frank, most would not have saved it!
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

That's why Graham neatly maintains about 10 set-up tables so at least 10 members have protection from my efforts to maiden airplanes. ;D

Frank

Candu

Yes, that was a great recovery, Frank. Too bad the SD card in my runway camera failed and missed the fantastic takeoff run.

Frank

altonyeung

Those were two great flights. Thanks again for helping us to fly the plane Frank.
Here are the onboard videos: (As usual please ignore the datestamps  ::))

Flight 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVGp_p_AMI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BltNG3u9Mk0

Flight 2 (Rear camera was removed to quickly correct the CG issue  :-[)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25xmY5hi9c

Frank v B

Alton,

Thanks for posting the videos.  That explains the brown stripe down the back of my pants. :D

Neat achievement for you and your team. 8)  Great to be part of it.

Frank

battlestu

just a few shots from today... great jobs guys!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

altonyeung

For those who are interested in the flight logs, here they are.  ;) :D

Frank v B

ALTON,

Thanks for the data.  It shows the following:
1) On the first flight, the speed indicates the two times the plane pitched up and the speed dropped at time 530 and 580.
2) The altitude chart also shows the two dives
3) The "distance north" proves I did not fly over road.  First time for everything!! :D
4) The "altitude ASL" chart looks like a bad attempt at forging a signature.

Thanks for posting the data.

Frank

sihinch

Wow, Frank, judging by the bottom right altitude graph I think this could have been your smoothest flight ever?!

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

re:" I think this could have been your smoothest flight ever?!"

There's a first time for everything!  Then I opened my eyes... 8)

Frank