E F 1 Results

Started by Polecat, September 12, 2016, 09:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

Here is the results of the E F 1 race at Orangeville yesterday, a little windy but we had a lot of fun and many laughs. Also some good racing.

Dave Ford  [Brantford]       15pts.    Fast time 1:38
Frank van Beurden             14                        1:36
Ken Fluney                         13                        1:24
Glen Nikolaiko                    13                        1:32
Mike Hazelton                     13                        1:43
Cory Paine  [Brantford]       12                         1:10
Rick Paine   [Brantford]       12                         1:24
Simon Hinchchiffe               12                         1:40
Greg Hazelton                      2                          ___
Ken Smith                           _ C                       ___

Congratulations to Dave and Frank.
Our next race will be Oct.2.

Ken

thehaze

Once again I had so much fun. If the pylon course was closer I'd be there every week.

I managed to record some video from my quad after the EF-1 racing was complete and one of the nitro planes went up and tore it up. For those of you that have never seen a 3 pole course this a good view (note the pylon on the far end of the course was removed before this flight, also gone are the judges stations).

https://youtu.be/CVULHoD5GYQ
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Mike,

It sure sounds like you pinned a playing card to one of the rotors.   :D

For those who have not tried 3-pylon racing:
- you invest about $500 in a model airplane with a snarly motor on the front (800 watts!)
- you stand in the middle of the 3 pylon course
- you twirl around with your plane and get dizzy.  Like flying control line without the lines.
- you have to be able to count to 10!  or as the O'ville boys call it "30 possible pylon cuts"
- you fly at full speed for 10 laps about 20-30 feet off the ground most of the time at a 90 degree angle.
- you have to wear a helmet... as if there is something valuable to protect. :D  We lost anything up there the minute we signed up! ;D
- you have 9 of your best flying buddies become "opponents" and growl at you for about 3 hours
- you get sun and wind-burned
- you hope the wind stops blowing a gale.  Guess what.  You can see about 20 huge windmill generators around you.... because it is a windy area.
- you get to take the pieces home... if your name is Greg or Ken.
- they thank you for coming to Orangeville and spending the day.
- you get home and are asked why you can't stop grinning.

Life is wonderful with a plane and a handful of friends 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

...but Frank doesn't tell you about the woes of a racer!

You fly what you think is a great race only to find you have 2 pylon cuts and you're disqualified!  >:(
And then you fly another great race to find there is a timing system issue and you don't get a time!  :'(

Joking aside, it's a fabulous day.  I get all wistful and philosophical when I drive out to the Orangeville race.  The 2 years I have been the weather has been gorgeous, the drive is relaxed and picturesque and the scenery is beautiful with great big skies and wonderful fall foliage starting.  When you add in the camaraderie and time with friends, away from the stress of everyday life, you really do feel "this is what it's all about."

Super, super fun.  ;D

cpaine

Glad you guys are enjoying it! (that might be an understatement).... good time, good friends!
My dad, Simon and I are a prime example of why Double cuts suck! zero points and to the bottom of the pile you go!

For Oct 2nd, would you guys prefer 2 plane races and 5 heats?? or keep it the same? 3 plane races and 4 heats....
I found with the shortage of workers, that we had a steady rotation of guys in the timing cage and starting the race... it got a little confusing, for me as well... some times got missed, and laps were not being counted..... (my bad for a couple of them). Just a suggestion... if we have more workers next time, then i think its none issue. Play that by ear.

I have some video as well, but like i said, it recorded everything! so i will get my buddy to help me out and do some MAJOR editing... plus "BEEP" out all my swearing!!
Looking forward to the next one guys.

Mike, thanks for the video! I had no idea you were up there! i flew right passed you on landing, thankfully, no mid-airs!! To bad the Quads cant capture sound from a distance...

Cheers
Cory
maac #26951

thehaze

Lol yeah the guys were all oohing when you flew behind me. But the quad has some impressive vertical and I was ready to go skyward if you were on course for a mid air.

The wind made the props really noisy. And I doubt it hampered the cameras ability to pick up the sound of your plane as well
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Simon,

re"...but Frank doesn't tell you about the woes of a racer!

At least we don't have to hear about your issues with the only and lonely tree out there. ;D.  The dreaded balsa consuming Hinchcliffe Maple

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"