Ryerson test flight- this Sunday Sept 18

Started by Frank v B, September 17, 2016, 06:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I know we are having the Higgins Skills(less) Day tomorrow starting at 1 pm.  Alton of Ryerson has asked me to test fly his airplane again tomorrow.  We will do this before the Skills event.  I have asked him to be ready to fly by 11 am.  There will probably be 2 flights each lasting around 5 minutes... or as Andy would say... "Sooooo optimistic that Frank's first flight will last longer than 15 seconds and he is planning to do a second one!!!" ;D

Good call on the weather today and moving the Skills event.... I can now attend.  Had to work today (Saturday).

Frank

ps: Am bringing my Pogo if someone wants to do 10 laps, turn left and go fast. ;)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Candu

Here's a video of your first flight,Frank, a little more than 15 seconds, I think....

https://youtu.be/7FnTWe9pFtM

Frank v B

Frank Candu,

re: "your first flight,Frank, a little more than 15 seconds"

Just to clarify to the audience.  The video was 15 seconds.  The flight lasted a lot longer.
It is interesting to watch the video on the landing.  You can clearly see the ground effect setting in because of the long wings and wide chord.  The engine was off and it clearly ballooned when it first got close to the ground.

Thanks for the members for giving us 3 five minute slots of clear airspace.

Frank

altonyeung

Thanks again Frank V B and Members of TEMAC.
Frank Candu, the video is awesome. I love the runway angle a lot!
I will organize the videos and flight log and post it under this thread when they're ready.

- Alton

thehaze

Quote from: Frank v B on September 18, 2016, 10:17:33 PM
Frank Candu,

re: "your first flight,Frank, a little more than 15 seconds"

Just to clarify to the audience.  The video was 15 seconds.  The flight lasted a lot longer.

I didn't even bat an eye when I first saw that... I think my first reaction was "Frank, 15 seconds... hmm he's had worse so we'll call it an average attempt."
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Candu

Hmmm... How come when Andy says 15 seconds, he gets a laugh and when i say it, everybody believes me.

Seriously, it was much much more than 15 seconds of uneventful flight. I just edited out the boring part of the video. Sorry for the confusion... 

altonyeung

Videos are up. Unfortunately I was only able to retrieve footage from the first two flights. Enjoy

Flight One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmzivIeaElE

Flight Two (Short Flight due to unreliable reading on battery status telemetry. False Alarm!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UoATFUB3k0

- Alton

Frank v B

Great videos Alton.  Thanks for posting them.

It was very noticeable that there was no flexing of the wing, spar or fuse.  I would have expected some.

You know that cone asked for it in the first video.  It wanted to be mowed over. :D

Frank