Float Flying 2016

Started by piker, September 28, 2016, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I want to apologize to all you float flyers out there for my absence this summer and for letting you down with the lack of TEMAC supported float flying events this year.  I know we rely on my retrieval boat for making these events happen, so I'm sorry I haven't been able to support the float flys.

Yes, it's been a crazy summer for me, especially since July 1st.  As you know, I decided to rebuild our house by myself and although the project has been fun, it's a huge task that has taken all my time.  I thought there would be times when I could take a few hours to do some flying, but the urgency went from the need for shelter (a roof), to keep the rain out of the house, to walls, windows, doors, and heat as the weather turns colder.  At this point my family and I are still out of the house for sleeping as the place is still not weather tight.  I hope to get back in shortly.

Anyway, I'm posting this, not so much as an explanation, but as a request that you guys keep the float flying spirit strong as we enter the winter building season, and that you look forward to an active summer of float flying next year.  Get those seaplanes built and assembled and we'll start with a float fly in late April, and hopefully some new and better locations to try out!

O.K.?

Sincerely,
Robert Pike - FFF
(Float Flying Fanatic) 

sihinch

Thank you Rob. A few people at TEMAC have said to me several times, that flying is a hobby and it needs to come after life commitments. Having a home and a good home life is (in my opinion) a higher priority than our models.

Good for you for building your dream.

As for you ask relating to the float flying spirit, I will support you! I will buy a new float plane.

Cheers
Simon

piker

I'm glad to hear it, Simon  :)

This house building thing has been a lot of fun.  Yes, hard work, but I'm enjoying it... and in the end, it IS all about the hobby.  I have a float flying site in my back yard, I'll have a huge new model building workshop in the house, and a large, two story garage for storing my planes and airplane trailer.  A bit obsessed?  Yep... just like everyone of us   ;D

Michael

Great!

I'm still building that Catalina for next season!

Michael

bweaver

Rob, I am sure if you are putting the same quality craftsmanship into your home construction as you do with your aircraft construction, your new home is going to be beautiful. 

I only started club float flying this year and you have been most supportive not only with my build as it went along, but being their this year with your encouragement when I first attempted to maiden it. 

I look at it this way, now as fall is here - I have my Sovia around to look at and enjoy for a winter before it temps the water again. It is all set to go...

Happy construction!  See you next year on the water's edge or hopefully sooner at one or more of our club dinner meetings.  :D

octagon

Hey Rob. Funny you should post this tonight. I just came up from the basement after putting the final touches on the Eflite Beaver that was damaged in the fire. It now had strobes top and bottom as well as a rebuilt tail. I look forward to the float flying we will do next year. I also have picked up a Grumman Widgeon, like the one you have/had. Good for you for being able to do your own construction, man what a job. We still have a long time before the ice is in, so if you do manage to have a spare hour or two, let us know and we will come to your spot on Lake Scugog (at least I will, shouldn't speak for others).  Take care, and continued good luck with the house.
Rob
What could possibly go wrong?

Oscar

Thank you Rob.

I am planning to build my FT SeaDuck this winter.   :D