Skywriter- it flew today!

Started by Frank v B, November 19, 2016, 05:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Brought out my Skywriter today before the Ryerson session.  Graham witnessed the flight.  It flew well.  The plane was our TEMAC build project two years ago.

Flew it originally with a Turnigy 2548-800 with a 10x10 and a 12x8 prop on 4 cells.  It produced about 400 watts.  The plane flew like it was tail heavy and could have used more power.
Tried to upgrade it to an E-Flite 32 but required too much re-tooling of the nose.  Did some research on the internet and upgraded the prop to a 12x11 Graupner.  It was a lot heavier that the original wood prop to help solve the tail-heavy problem.  I originally added 3/4" to the nose compared to the plans when I built it but it did not correct the tail-heaviness.

What a difference!!! It took off at half throttle.  All flying was done at half throttle which was better than it flew at full throttle last time.  It behaved like a whole new airplane.  I am a happy man! :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

Congratulations Teach! I'm always impressed when someone perseveres with a problematic model...doubly so when they figure it out and improve it!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!