Fly Fly Phantom F4

Started by Michael, December 30, 2016, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Approx. 56 inches long, 40" wingspan, E-Flite 80mm fan and 80 amp ESC, E-Flite 46 electric retracts with steering servo, elevons (no rudder, no flaps, no ailerons).

It's very (relative to other model jets this size) light, and it will probably be able to fly slowly (for a model jet).

(The above from another post in another topic.)

Michael

Michael

Photos show:

Upper-inner fuselage; power and servo wires under masking tape and then coated with epoxy.

Lower-inner fuselage; retract wires under masking tape and then coated with epoxy.

Elevon servos and linkages.

Retractable nosewheel and steering servo.

Retractable gear in wing, with plywood inset.
Michael

Michael

Painting underway.

Michael

sihinch

Michael

Michael

Michael

I still have to fix up the battery placement, mount the receiver, tie up wires, adjust throws, and balance the plane, and maybe add a few more decals, but it's almost done.

Michael

Gregor77

Wow, looks great... but alas... looks a bit boring?  What happened to desert camo?   

Michael

I have 2 jets with desert camo already.
Michael

Michael

Canopy/cockpit.

Michael

sihinch

Which pilots did you use Michael?

Since I am building the same plane, I might just copy you!!!  ;D

sihinch

I've been inspired by Michael's quick build to continue my build from winter 2015! 

I have the Jepe version of the FlyFly Phantom, and have glassed the whole airframe. It has an air intake modification, to make the air flow more efficient, and it also has a single fan exhaust, with 2 dummy jet nozzles.  I added flaps and ailerons and all trailing edge flight control surfaces have been edged with balsa strip.  I too have added extra ply reinforcement for the undercarriage, and suspension struts.

Next job is the wing modification, as per Jepe's plans and then the wing mounting (mine will be permanent.)

Michael

Impressive, Simon.

Your plane has better hardware, and will definitely be faster.

I look forward to flying jets with you.
Michael

octagon

Looks good both of you guys. Simon, what livery will you be doing? Did the Brits fly Phantoms?
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

Rob Dickinson! Shame on you!  :P Did the Brits fly Phantoms?! YEAH!

The RAF and Navy used them. 

Partly as a means of guaranteeing employment in the British aerospace industry, agreement was reached that major portions of the UK's Phantoms would be built domestically. The F-4J variant, which was then the primary version in service with the US Navy, was taken as the basis for the UK aircraft, subject to major redesign. The most significant change was the substitution of the larger and more powerful Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan for the GE J79 turbojet to allow operations from the Royal Navy's carriers. To accommodate the larger engines, BAC redesigned and built the entire rear fuselage section. The Westinghouse AN/AWG-10 radar carried by the F-4J was to be procured and built under licence by Ferranti as the AN/AWG-11 for Navy aircraft and AN/AWG-12 for those of the RAF. The changes to the aircraft led to the two variants being given their own separate series letters, with the Navy version being designated as the F-4K and the RAF version as the F-4.

I will be doing a 1980s RAF scheme, not decided which squadron yet, but it will look something like this....

octagon

That is going to look fantastic. Look forward to seeing it
What could possibly go wrong?