Partly-scratch-built Racing Red Mustang

Started by Michael, January 08, 2017, 02:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Ok, so much time between now and spring flying, that I just had to start building something else.

I was going to make a whimsical flying model of the Beatles Yellow Submarine, but in drawings and with a small-size mock build-up, the thing just looked wrong with wings.

I have an extra E-Flite 1.2 meter P51 Mustang wing, so I searched the internet for something different, and I found the plane in the photo shown here in this post.

The first step was to draw the plans in my head!

Michael

Michael

My investment so far is a sheet of 1/2" styrofoam, and I probably have everything else lying around. I hope.

I've started the fuselage first.

Michael

Michael

Good fit so far!

Michael

bweaver

Looks great Micheal. 

I am going to do a project similar to this, but using both the wing and tail portion of the fuselage which includes the horizontal/vertical stabs and control surfaces, along with the canopy and air inlet for under the fuselage. All parts were salvaged from my E-flite Mustang.     

Your build has encouraged me to get at it as soon as I return. 

Michael

Quote from: bweaver on January 08, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
Looks great Micheal. 

I am going to do a project similar to this, but using both the wing and tail portion of the fuselage which includes the horizontal/vertical stabs and control surfaces, along with the canopy and air inlet for under the fuselage. All parts were salvaged from my E-flite Mustang.     

Your build has encouraged me to get at it as soon as I return.

Great!

Michael

Michael

Working on the aft-top fuselage.

Michael

Michael

Things are shaping up!

Anyway, this image shows how I'm building the fuselage. It will be sanded and hollowed out later.

Michael

piker

Cool!

When you design in your head, is it like an Etch A-Sketch?  Don't give your head a shake!

Michael

So, I got thinking .......

Being a racing plane, I didn't want to have a tail wheel hanging down in flight, so I devised a retractable and steerable tailwheel.

Always wanting to make things as simple as possible, I simply attached a small electric retract to a swivel-type mount, made of plywood.

Michael

Michael

OK, here's my problem with the above; when retracted, there isn't room for the component to move left and right when the rudder is moved.

A solution might include a separate steering servo for the tailwheel, on a separate channel (flaps; I will not be using flaps), which is mixed with the rudder, but which turns off when the wheels are retracted, through another mix.

Does that seem right?

If I can't figure this out today, I'll switch to a fixed tailwheel.
Michael

Michael

Done!  ;D

A separate steering servo for the tail wheel (aux2) is mixed/controlled by the rudder, but the mix is turned on and off by switch A (retract/gear switch; in the same mix screen).

Works great!
Michael

Michael

Now that the pesky tailwheel is out of the way, normal building continues.

It's starting to look a little P51-ish, or maybe Mustang-ish, I'm not sure.

Michael

sihinch

Michael

More progress ...

I like this pointy spinner more for a racing plane.

Michael

Michael

Carving a canopy; front top held down with magnets.

Still more sanding to do. A lot more.

Michael