Combat Warwing construction

Started by Michael, February 25, 2017, 02:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

So, I'm finally starting. I start with a vision, and then proceed.

Despite the fact that this model is likely to get smashed sooner than later, I still plan on putting some effort into the paint job.

Maybe once I learn my lesson, I'll rebuild with a simpler finish.

The image was imported and altered in Photoshop. Let's see how close I can get to it.

Michael

Michael

Moving ahead ....
Michael

bweaver

I feel a new victim I mean I feel a new opponent coming on.   ::)   

Remember you can draw on a rudder that will be just as effective. Doing this will save time, aggravation and a third servo.  You won't need to attach it, wire it, or find and pick it up from the field later.   ;D

Michael

Michael

Michael

This is an easy and fun project!

Hinges, control horns and servo mounts done.
The hinge tape used in a medical type hinge that is not very sticky, but porous enough that epoxy soaked right through it as I smeared in on; works great!

Bottom fuselage glued on.

I got the recommended motor-mount kit; a small crate for Moroccan tangerines, complete with plywood and triangular stock!  :D

Michael

Michael

Motor mount completed.

Next is painting. I don't think I'll get to that today. Maybe tomorrow.

I'll prepare the battery mount and all the equipment installation after painting, so I can position it all to help balance the plane at the right spot.

Michael

bweaver

Now you have the spirit.  I hope you enjoyed the tangerines that came along with your motor mount kit.   

Should you have to rebuild the aircraft in the future and morocs are out of season, just dremal off the remaining blue foam on this set and you are set to go.  No further investment required.  You will get the hang of it.

PS - you used the wrong medical tape.  I recommended the 3M type.  No epoxy required. 

I am glad you are having fun....

Frank v B

Michael,

That Warwing photo-shopped model looks eerily like your pink foam and glass Park Fighters Speed 400 P-51 from 10 years ago.

If ugly planes last longer they are so going to pounce on you in the first flight. :D  Remember, the old guys in the Morning Crew have very little respect for young people like you. ;D

Dr. John is always ready to do a post-mortem. :D  Cause of crash- youth!

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Michael

Michael

Painting underway.

I'm changing the design a bit.

Michael

Michael

OK, basic construction and painting done!

In a few days, motor and RC installation.

Michael

Frank v B

I dropped by Sobey's today and they have Warwing motor mounts for sale for $3.99 and they will throw in 4 lbs of Maroc mandarines... free! 8)

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Servos installed. I have about 45 degrees of throws. Is that enough.

A few black trim lines put on, to ad to the frustration after it gets smashed.

Motor mounted.

Question: In order balance, the battery has to be placed fairly far back (see 4th photo). Is this normal?

Should I put in a bit of weight at the back, and mount the battery further forward?

Michael

bweaver

That is looking great.  You may be surprised with how much you will enjoy flying this aircraft.

You also can't appreciate how much fun someone is going to have chasing it through the sky.

Having to place the battery back further than normal is likely due to the use of the high quality imported morocan wood you are using for  your motor mount reinforcement. 

Good job!!!!!!

Canuke

Us morning warwing flyers are always looking for a new target in our combat sessions. We usually aim for the newest and best looking warwing. We think yours will be a natural target and are looking forward to the competition.