Sig Smith Miniplane Electric Conversion

Started by bweaver, February 25, 2017, 02:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I decided that my next project is going to be a fuel to electric conversion of a Sig Smith Miniplane.

The plane has a 44 inch wing span.  Size 40 Engine.  Ailerons on both wings.

I purchased this plane from Cadez going on 2 years ago with visions of converting some time ago (I do procrastinate you know)

Anyways, I have started.  I plan on using a 5 cell 5000 mah battery and an electric motor equivalent to 40 size nitro.

The battery will be accessible from the front of the plane under the motor.

Progress illustrated below.

Michael

That thing is going to fly like a rocket on 5S!
Michael

octagon

Looks great Bruce. I think Michael is right. That thing is going to move. Look forward to seeing it go!
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: Rob's   "I think Michael is right. That thing is going to move."

What's the issue??  "Always overpower an airplane.  You can always throttle back.... if you have to." ;)

Bipes like to be nose-heavy because the other way is instant death.

It sure looks better than that ugly red and yellow biplane of yours that just refuses to die. :)

Nice project.  Cadez will be smiling, while changing diapers, when it flies. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Re Frank's comments : "It sure looks better than that ugly red and yellow biplane of yours that just refuses to die."

From my perspective, my red and yellow biplane may be ugly, but I also think it is cute. Something like you Frank. (Ugly yet cute)

Anyways, I have proceeded further with the electric conversion.  The motor mounting technique I use  is simple.

I used the original motor mounting screw holes and blind nuts in the original firewall for the base of the second firewall and blind nut firewall assembly.  The spacer between the original firewall and the new firewall is made from a piece of PVC pipe cut to the proper length to allow the motor to protrude from the cowling with sufficient clearance for the prop.

Next, I will balance the plane, while adjusting the battery position in the fuselage.  Then I will install foam in the fuselage to secure the battery in place.  I will also install a securing strap or hatch cover at the front opening for ease of access, installation and removal of the battery. 

I will also install the ESC, arming mechanism for the motor, receiver, bind it and the plane will be ready to go.

bweaver

The conversion is complete.  The plane is ready to go. 

I really had to move the battery forward.  About a 3rd of the battery is outside of the fuselage in the cowling area.  This was necessary to obtain the correct C of G. 

Anyways, I am looking forward to maiden it.   All is good.   ::)