Scratch built Heath Parasol

Started by Michael, March 04, 2017, 08:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

There's still time for another winter project. This will be a scratch-built Heath Parasol; an early 20th century American homebuilt airplane.

I'm planning on building this 1/5 scale (60" wingspan), out of depron-type styrofoam, with a projected weight of 2 pounds, and it will be for land and water.

Building starts soon .....

Michael

piker

Ooooo.  I'm glad you've decided to build this.

That size and style will look good flying beside my American Eaglet, which is a very similar style and size.  I just have to get mine finished too!   :o

piker

Would you build the floats like in the picture?

Michael

I haven't decided.

Either I will, or I'll make separate floats and landing gear simply screw on at the same hard-points.

If I do, then I will have to use non-metal (plastic, rubber, carbon-fiber) for the wheels and parts.
Michael

Michael

My 'plans', and the beginning of construction.

Michael

sihinch

Michael - you are an impressive and compulsive builder! You're very inspiring.

If I wanted to do a depron build, where do you get the depron from?

piker

Oh, when I asked the question I didn't even clue into the fact that there were wheels attached to the floats.  I assume they are just for beaching.  I doubt the floats would work with the wheels attached.

What I was referring to was the rather short aft end of the floats.  They are very antic looking, which is cool, but I'm not sure how good they would be at keeping the tail of the aircraft up and dry.

However, now that you got me thinking more about the floats and those cool beaching wheels, it might be cool to be able to keep the floats attached all the time, and just add the beaching gear for flying from land.  Not how the real one worked, I'm sure, but might be cool for the model.  You, or I if I steal the idea for my plane, would need to have some sort of tail wheel on the floats, or probably better, move the mains back and add a nose wheel between the floats or one on each float.  That would be best to prevent the plane from nosing over when powering up.

Michael

Quote from: sihinch on March 05, 2017, 04:42:56 PM

If I wanted to do a depron build, where do you get the depron from?

Pinnacle Hobby usually has stock.
Michael

Michael

I'm progressing slowly on the wing.

Before every step, I have to be aware of how I'm going to build the ailerons, where I'm going to mount the servos, where the wing struts will attach, the dihedral joint, the attachment structure to the fuselage, and so on.

The leading edge is glued on the bottom skin, the lower carbon fiber wing spars and ribs are glued on.

Michael

Michael

Wing webbing, for a very light but very strong structure.

Michael

Michael

Dihedral joint: plywood, strong wire bent to the correct angle epoxied into carbon fiber tubes, and more depron.

Michael

Michael

Aileron construction is slow, but still enjoyable.

Michael

Michael

I've been busy with work and family stuff.

(Really! I've been working a lot, and I just had my fourth grandson! Adam visited from Chicago, and lots of stuff has been going on.)

Anyway, I started on the fuselage. 2 formers have inset aluminum tubes to support a structure that will hold the wing in place.

Can't buy me love? Well, I just did!

I've been looking for a nice example for my collection for more than 20 years, and I just bought it! Capital Records 1964 Can't Buy Me Love (Beatles) 45 rpm single with original sleeve.

Boy, am I happy! (Cost me more than most model airplanes!)

Michael

sihinch

When did you get it, Yesterday? Or was that another Hard Days Night? Finally you and the single have Come Together!

Michael

Michael