Scratch built Heath Parasol

Started by Michael, March 04, 2017, 08:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

More work on the fuselage: more formers, and bottom rear sheeting.

Wing support structure made out of brass and aluminum tubes, carefully measured, bent and fit for the right wing angle-of-attack; light and strong.

This fits right into the aluminum tubes in the main formers.

Michael

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Plywood supports/anchors in the wings for wing struts; flush with outer lower surface.

Michael

bweaver

The detail of the construction and reinforcing techniques you are using are great for those who will wish to take on a similar building challenge. Step-by-step photos like this are fantastic....  I know the information will be helpful for me.

Thanks,  8)

Michael

I research this plane as I build, and I see that since the original was a home-built, there are so many variables.

I have a lot of creative license in the design of the wing struts, landing gear, engine and cowl design, cockpit, etc.

Michael

Michael

I've designed the landing gear as typical scale. A wire fits inside an airfoil-shaped aluminum tube, and is then flattened, bent and drilled as necessary. Thinner wire is braced in front and behind, hooked into the aluminum tube near the axles, which are partially covered by a smaller round aluminum tube. The whole unit is held down by screws onto plywood strips, which will also serve as hard-points to which wing struts and a floats-structure will attach.

It was fun to figure out and build this landing gear.

Michael

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Landing gear wire supports redone with aluminum outer tube for better visual effect.
Michael

Michael

Firewall. Slight downthrust built in.

Michael

Michael

I mentioned that this was a 60" span model. It's not. It's 50".

Parts cut out for the tail. This will be a push-pull system on the elevator and rudder.

A carbon-fiber flat strip is inserted into the stabilizer for strength. Control horns are made out of plywood. Micro pin hinges are used.
Michael

Michael

Tail glued in place.

A few hours work yielded a functioning pull-pull system.
Michael

Michael

Brass tube glued to the center bottom wing, and pinned to the tube structure, and wing struts bent, drilled and installed.

A tail wheel is also visible here.
Michael

bweaver

Fantastic.  What size motor are you using and what do you think it will weigh when finished?

Michael

It's a Neodyme 300 1200kv motor (whatever that means). It's a small motor.

Weight so far is about 12½ ounces, with motor, as shown.

Michael

Michael

A couple of formers and a (very carefully sized and cut out) upper skin, and voila!
Michael