2017-02 TEMAC Tickler, President's Edition

Started by sihinch, March 05, 2017, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I'm sorry I've been a bit quiet recently.  Between trips home and work trips to the US, I haven't had very much time for our hobby this year.  And I have to apologise but the Board have also been busy with other commitments recently, and Greg is having a well earned holiday, so the March Pilot's meeting has crept up on us without a topic!  Forgive us, please.

But I still want to hang out with TEMAC friends and chat about model aeroplanes!  So come along to Colonel Mustard's anyway, we'll have dinner then go hang out downstairs.  Bring your questions and your projects and maybe between now and Wednesday I will come up with a brilliant idea for a topic.....unless you have one?  Maybe we'll do something hands on, or an RC simulator competition?

Wednesday 8th March, Colonel Mustard's - dinner from 6pm-ish, downstairs from 7:30pm.

I decided that since photos from the field are scarce at this time of year, and the last Pilot's meeting was covered on the forum, I would allow myself to dedicate this Tickler to my projects!  I hope that's not too indulgent - send me some pics of your projects and I will share them.  Maybe you will find some inspiration in mine?

You all know I love fast planes, and I've also had a lot of fun with FPV, so I decided to get a Durafly EFXtra.  I always regret not getting one of the original ones, so I jumped on this new version.  Plus it comes with an FPV canopy - so let's see what 100mph looks like, in the plane!

When I was a teenager, my Dad learned to fly.  We used to fly from the shortest registered field in the UK, in Cessna 152 & 172s.  I always remember how I looked towards the ground when we banked for the best views.  I wanted to do this with FPV, so I built a pan & tilt system that I will mount on a new EasyStar II that I bought from Pinnacle (thanks Nigel & Ron.)

Speaking of cameras and filming stuff, on a recent trip back to Blighty, my niece took her action cam swimming with us.  I'd never used a camera underwater before, I was impressed with the results!

I'm very pleased that I have been able to finish my FlyFly F-4 Phantom!  It was 2 years in the making, but I don't think I'd have finished it if it wasn't for inspiration from Glenn & Michael.

Looking forward to Wednesday and catching up with you all; it's been too long!

Cheers,
Simon

bweaver

Hi Simon,

I would like to make a suggestion for a topic for this coming Wednesday night...  Would it be possible for those members that spray paint their aircraft with compressed air as opposed to cans of spray paint speak to the subject? I would personally find it a helpful subject to cover, because I think yours and other members aircraft finishes that are sprayed are fantastic.  I would like to give it a try.

For example, please describe,
-the process used, (priming, layering, misting etc.)
-the type of equipment used, (bring examples of the equipment they use if possible)
-the types of paint used, (why they use certain paints for certain applications)
-any other tips that will help others consider getting into spray painting. (suggestions of what to buy and what not to buy)

Thanks for your consideration. 

sihinch

That's a great idea Bruce!  Thank you.  Consider it done.

This weeks topic is spray painting.

I learnt everything I know from Cadez and the internet, but I can certainly bring in my equipment and talk about the troubles I've had!  :P

Hopefully Cadez is free too, and he can tell us about everything he showed me, that I then forgot.

The best way to spray paint by the way, is to take Cadez a "2-4" and watch him do it!

bweaver

???  I have so much to learn - I don't even know what "2 - 4" is?

battlestu

it's named after a great long weekend in May.... also think Bob and Doug :)

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bweaver

OH...... That "twofour" not "2 - 4".  I guess it was Simon's accent that got me.

Now is that domestic or imported Cadez? Maybe it will be cheaper to higher Cadez than buy the equipment and do it myself.  ;D

sihinch

Sorry about my accent! I should've just said beer!

Now, can you all help me again please? I sent a Tickler email from my Gmail account on Sunday night, to the whole TEMAC membership list, but tonight I started getting delivery failures. Lots of them! From Ken Coleman, Tuck, Cadez etc.

Did anyone get my email?

I used a distribution list but remembered to do BCC this time. Wonder if Gmail thinks it was spam?

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

I did not get the email.

I feel so rejected.  :(
Michael

bweaver

I didn't get the email. 

Just found the tickler after checking for "Show unread posts since last visit".

BJROB

I feel special :P
as I got the email twice  ::)

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

sihinch

OK folks, here's what happened....

I sent the original email from Gmail, on Sunday.

On Monday, I got a "temporary send error" for almost everyone, from my Gmail.  ???

This morning, I sent the email again, from Yahoo.  You all got that one.  :D

Then, as if by magic, the Gmail email decided to send itself.  ::)

So, thanks to Technology, you now have no excuse for not knowing about the Pilot's meeting..... ;D

Frank v B

Simon,
re: BJ's
"I feel special :P
as I got the email twice  ::)"

I feel really special.  I got the original one plus two today. :D

Also, about the 2-4.  Being in the contracting business, I read it as a "two by four" or that thing you must hit me with to get my attention. ;D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

bfeist

Sadly I'm out west today on business. Miss you guys!

bweaver

The meeting last night was once again a lot of fun. 

Simon and Cadez partnered to provide for an informative and entertaining presentation on spray painting and weathering model aircraft.  Now I have to decide on purchasing spray equipment or beer, for use in exchange for Cadez's skill in spray finishing my aircraft.   The guidance you provided will be most helpful.  Thank you to you both. (NOTE TO THOSE WHO COULD NOT ATTEND THE MEETING- If Simon posts on the Forum in the near future that he has a spray gun for sale; DON'T BUY IT.)

Micheal also shared with use how he builds with depron.   Quite impressive.  I have admired his planes constructed with this material for sometime now.  I have a 'next winter build project' in mind that I will implement using Micheal's tips and this material.  I can envision the finished aircraft now.   I will be most impressed with it (even if others aren't).

There were also some show and tells. Larry brought in a blue foam board wing that he has started making, using some type of machine to do the cutting and forming for him.  It looks great.  He received lots of helpful suggestions on how to continue successfully with the project. NOTE TO LARRY - If you get a chance to post on the forum about this building technique and progress on the project, I would like to follow it.  I think others would as well.

Rob also brought in his latest glider. Another great build. You can definitely appreciate Rob's passion for building and flying.

Great evening... Thanks