Transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Started by gmcnic, March 16, 2017, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmcnic

A lot of you probably received an email notice from MAAC today regarding aviation safety.  For those of you not on their emailing list, I include the notice below which I believe is quite clear.  I think MAAC have worked wonderfully with Transport Canada on this.

Cheers,
Graham

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Rodger Williams, President
[email protected]
+1 418 564-5225
www.MAAC.ca
March 16, 2017
Burlington, ON

For Immediate Release
Transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities
MAAC Members and Clubs See Exemptions

Transport Canada's announcement of interim regulations for drone use will impact model aviation enthusiasts across the country that are flying any model aircraft between 250g and 35kg. The regulations place restrictions on how high model aircraft can be flown, and minimum distances from people and buildings when flying that will severely limit how and where people can enjoy the hobby. The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

The Transport Canada Advisory group of MAAC and the Board of Directors on behalf of The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada acknowledges Transport Canada's safety concerns and is appreciative for the clear recognition of the long history of safe operations by our membership. One of MAAC's primary goals is keeping our members informed and educated on how to enjoy the hobby while keeping safety in the forefront, and that effort has paid off with this exemption.

One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs.

The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces, which may create issues for some members and clubs. MAAC recommends clubs contact their local authorities and ensure they are aware of the club's existence, MAAC affiliation, and the Transport Canada exemption.

About The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC):
MAAC is Canada's internationally and federally recognized model aviation sanctioning body. Additionally, MAAC is a sitting member of Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council (CARAC), holds corporate membership with Unmanned Systems Canada (USC) and is a voting member of the FAI and the Aero Club of Canada.

For over 65 years the association has provided leadership, safety guidelines, and liability insurance to individual members, clubs, and field owners. MAAC serves over 11,500 members and more than 350 clubs across Canada. MAAC members are active in all disciplines of model aviation from free-flight models through radio controlled turbine powered models, including multi-rotor aircraft RC boating and rocketry.

For more information contact your zone director, the MAAC Office (maac.ca) or
Rodger Williams, President
[email protected] +1 418 564-5225

Wingnutz

Does anyone have a link to these interim regulations so we can read them directly?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

pmackenzie

Pretty much puts an end to any future float flying, unless the models are less than 250 grams.
I am glad that MAAC was able to get the exemption they did get, but IMO we have lost a lot with this silly nonsense.
The sky has been stolen from us.  I am very depressed about this.

"Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free,
You can't take the sky from me."

( Firefly theme by Joss Whedon)

Pat MacKenzie

bweaver

I agree Pat.  I am disappointed with the 'tar everyone with the same brush' approach taken by Transport Canada.  I understand how you feel this will impact on float flying due to the restrictions imposed.  Further...,

Taking the regulation literally, it also applies to control line flying at non MAAC sanctioned control line sites where the 'model aircraft' are flown within the prohibited distances to people, spectators, buildings, cars, etc. Is this really what was intended?

The new reg's now make flying free flight and RC flying more precarious due to the added liability individuals and clubs could be exposed to, should a model aircraft cause injury or damage once the aircraft inadvertently leaves the boundaries of the MAAC sanctioned site.

There are many factors model aircraft clubs and hobbyist need to consider now.

The other thing that puts me off about this, is Transport Canada's media release.  They use the term 'drones' which isn't even used in the regulations and only depict multi-rotor aircraft.  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6109.0;attach=18879  >:(

Sorry about the rant...  :'(

piker

I know the new rules can be taken literally to apply to all type of model aircraft, but I think it's obvious that they're put into place to restrict the out of control, new fad of, unregulated quadcopter (Drone) flying where people without the common sense and understanding of the risk are flying in inappropriate locations.  The press release doesn't show a single picture of a model aircraft.  Just quads.  I feel the cops will be on the lookout for this type of activity, and now have a way to enforce it.  I feel the hobby of flying model airplanes, which has been mostly harmless for decades, will be left alone.

sihinch

Can't we meet all these criteria at your house, @piker;D

"within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome."

piker

Ha.  Funny you should ask.  I live 650 meters from an airport!!!

I plan to talk to the guys at the seaplane base and let them know that I'll be flying models at my place.  Mainly so they know that I'm aware of the  hazards and that as long as they do their fly over, as I believe they do as procedure for a landing on water, I'll have my model down and out of the way before they come in for a landing.   My biggest concern is that they sometimes come in for a landing from around the corner of the shoreline and land right off my backyard, with barely a whisper.  However, I think if I'm flying and, paying attention, I'll know they're in the area and get my model down, just in case.  Also, I will almost always fly in the calm evenings or mornings, when there's pretty much no activity on the lake.

It's actually very interesting to watch the planes come and go as there's a lot of boating activity on the lake.  I just hope everyone knows to stay out of their way.  I'm not sure if the geese know though.

Oh, and the other place I'm proposing as an excellent float flying site is 5km from the same seaplane base.

Michael

I'll ask MAAC if a chartered club float fly event, operated with the permission of the land owner, is permissible.

This is the email I sent:

I am the Deputy L Zone director.

Can individual chartered MAAC clubs have model airplane float fly events on private property (not at the club itself), if operated with the permission of the land owner?

Can individual MAAC members fly float planes from water on private property (not at the club itself), if operated with the permission of the land owner?

Thank you.

Michael

Michael

piker

I think the answer is "yes"  I recall this being a thing... especially for float flying

pmackenzie

The problem is that MAAC now is only doing the bidding of TC.
But if MAAC gives you a sanction, then you should be good to go. My fear is that they will tend to play it safe and won't.

Prior to TEMAC many of us used to fly for years at Milliken park, and then 14th avenue after that.
If these new rules had been in place most of that flying would now be deemed "illegal" and we all would have been subject to fines.
I think it is entirely possible that I would never have been able to take up modelling under these rules.

If I look at the flying I have been doing lately it is all in compliance, because I generally fly at MAAC fields now.
But just hovering my 450 in the backyard, or in the field down the street is now against these new regulations.
I flew DLG twice this winter down in the park. One model weighed just under 250 grams, the other about 15 grams over.
So one was OK(at least according to TC regs), but the other not. It just makes no sense. Are the cops going to have a set of scales with them?
Most likely they would just "educate" me, and tell me to stop flying no matter what the weight.

""Of course discretion is a part of this as well too. Police officers have the discretion just to educate, perhaps, an operator of a drone, all the way to [using] the Criminal Code.""
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-drone-regulations-marc-garneau-1.4027486

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on March 17, 2017, 01:12:40 PM
I know the new rules can be taken literally to apply to all type of model aircraft, but I think it's obvious that they're put into place to restrict the out of control, new fad of, unregulated quadcopter (Drone) flying where people without the common sense and understanding of the risk are flying in inappropriate locations.  The press release doesn't show a single picture of a model aircraft.  Just quads.  I feel the cops will be on the lookout for this type of activity, and now have a way to enforce it.  I feel the hobby of flying model airplanes, which has been mostly harmless for decades, will be left alone.

I agree with Rob...between the MAAC exemption and the possibility of enlightened enforcement, I don't think the skies have been closed to responsible, educated model airplane (or drone) pilots.
However as a full size pilot who last November spotted and reported a drone at nearly 2000' between Oshawa and Buttonville, I applaud TCs efforts to try to close the skies to this kind of wreckless unmanned aircraft operation.
It will be interesting to see if the regulations scheduled for June release do a better job of addressing the issue for everyone.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Michael

Here is the official answer:

Hi Michael,
Members are exempt if flying at a MAAC registered field or event.  If the site is not a registered field or event, you must abide by the legislation.
Linda Patrick
MAAC Secretary/Treasurer

Here are the practical and pragmatic ways forward:

1. If we floatfly with the landowner's permission, and the event is sanctioned by MAAC, we can fly. Sanctioning is easy; follow instructions on the MAAC website; do it a couple weeks before or more.

2. We cannot fly with MAAC protection, if there is no formal permission and sanction. In that case, all the new laws apply.
Michael

Palkina