Newbie in your midst...

Started by destinyy, July 10, 2004, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinyy

Hello. My name is Daphne, and I'm here because I've been reading these boards for some time as a 'lurker' and haven't really joined or spoken up. I think this is a wonderful group, however (just from sticking around and reading thus far), and I'm in the process of joining up with MAAC so that I can also join TEMAC as soon as possible.

As far as introductions go, I think I'm just about the only female electric flyer I've ever met personally, but I hope to meet more soon [!]. I'm somewhere between 20 and 30 (we won't say where!) and I'm very new to the hobby; a rank beginner, learning slowly on my GWS Slow Stick. I love it to death. That, and I'm really quite enjoying the wonder of 5 minute epoxy, fresh solder and 14 guage wire..

My background is in computers, so I've had a fair amount of experience with circuit boards and electronics for a while now, but model aeronautics has always been little more than a distant sort of "what-if" dreamy interest of mine. Since I was a young girl, I've always wanted to fly remote aircraft. Of course back then, there were no such things as "inexpensive" small electric aircraft the way there are today. Back then, I was also very often in awe of the wonderfully talented remote pilots I'd see near my home.

There used to be a large open field across from our school park when I was a teenager, and I'd see folks with their giant glow aircraft, doing amazing bits of aerobatics in the sky. I was always in awe.

For the moment, I'm fairly interested in the "park flyer" type of plane; the smaller, lighter e-flight models are what have caught my greatest intrigue at present. And after my Slow Stick I hope to graduate to a smaller, 4 channel aileron trainer. My current transmitter is the HITEC LASER 6 (which is doing me quite well so far), and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the more advanced functions as my learning process continues.

To that end, I've been looking for a local group wherein I can find mentorship, guidance, and hopefully a venue to exchange like-minded ideas with other remote e-pilots in my neck of the woods (I live in Woodbridge, ON currently). I think that's TEMAC, from all I've read. Having 'lurked' here for a while now, I really think I've found the perfect group of folks. And I can't wait to be able to join you all and learn from your experiences.

All that said, I think I've rambled on enough. I hope you all don't mind a "newbie" in your midst, but I'm happy to be here anyway, and perhaps sooner than later I'll have the opportunity to meet many of you "on the field".

Cheers & Warmest Regards**
Daphne Simone  

piker

Daphne,

Your enthusiasm for the hobby is something we all share.  This hobby provides great rewards, fun, friendships, and of course, challenges.

I'm glad you've contacted us because you live in an area where you can take advantage of much of what the EMFSO and TEMAC can offer.  As I'm sure you know, the EMFSO holds several events and activities throughout the year to help add to the enjoyment of the hobby.  TEMAC now provides a regular (and official) flying site for electric flyers as well as a greater opportunity to help new flyers get the instruction they need.

I don't know how long it would take you to get to TEMAC from Woodbridge, but I suspect it's a straight drive across the top and one that should take about 30 minutes.  That's about how long it takes many of us to get to the field.

Currently, you'll find people flying at TEMAC on Saturday and Sunday mornings (between 9:00 and 12:00).  Michael and Adam, and some others seem to be heading out on Saturday afternoon (around 3:00 for a couple of hours) on a semi-regular basis.  And Andre's been going on Wednesday evenings quite regularly these days. Andre goes on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings mainly to be available for training.  Your best bet is to put a notice on this message board to arrange for a specific training opportunity.  

The best part about members of the EMFSO and TEMAC (same bunch of people, just different agenda's) is that everyone is always willing to help with learning to fly and getting your plane flying well.

Your posting here is timed well as we have a fun fly coming up next weekend (where most of our local members will be).  The Bramalea Electric fun fly is next Saturday, July 17th.  These events are very casual, and everyone is welcome to fly (provided you have MAAC........even if you don't, you can have someone who does, fly the plane while you have time on the sticks.  That way the ensured pilot is responsible).  If you're able, come out to this event and say "Hi".  It's a great opportunity to meet everyone.  More information is available on the main page of this site.  Click on the Bramal-E Fly event heading.

Don't worry about being new at this hobby.  Every pilot is at some stage in their leaning experience, even if they've been flying for 25 years.  The early stage is the most fun, and the time when progress will be the greatest and the most rewarding.

Keep in touch and maybe we'll see you next weekend.

Robert

destinyy

Thanks for the welcome, Robert.  I look forward to meeting you all too.  

At the moment, I've just sent in for my MAAC as of last week, but it says on the form that it could take up to 5 weeks to process so I may not have my number for a while.  I am probably going to send in my TEMAC membership forms, along with my EMFSO membership form etc, to Michael this week anyway, and I'll just write that my MAAC number is pending on the form until such time as I get it.  And until that time, I'm more than happy to even just WATCH other flyers on the field.  

I've been hanging out on the U.S. RCUNIVERSE.COM electric forums as well until now.  They've been very helpful in assisting me with decision making and answering questions about my Slow Stick.   I also have a couple of the RTF models from HobbyZone, the Aerobird Challenger, Extreme and a Gold Eagle II XXL.  But while those have been fun for me, I have found it difficult to keep consistency with them given that their fairly fast in the air (hence the reason I love the Slow Stick so much).  My Aerobird Xtreme is still in its box, I was saving it until I was a better r/c pilot, given how beaten up my Aerobird Challenger became over the first while of flying it.

I do hope to make it out to the Bramalee fun fly.  I'll have to see how my work schedule goes (I tend to work nutty hours some nights on projects), but it sounds like a great venue to meet folks, just as you said.

Cheers**
D.

Edited by - destinyy on 11 Jul 2004  12:49:59 PM

the giant

Hi Daphne:

As an instructor at TEMAC I consider it most satifying to see people develop and grow in this hobby.  As a 30+ year veteran of the hobby I have seen flyers move on to exceptional levels of ability.  With the same encouragement and comraderie that exists at TEMAC you too will be challenged and motivated too.  

Looking Forward to meeting you,
Andre, the giant

destinyy

Thanks Andre!  I've heard (read) so many fabulous things about you already here, I can't wait to meet (and learn from!) you as well.  

Cheers**
D.

piker

Don't get the wrong impression.  He's not really a very nice person.  He just pretends to be........and he's not a very good pilot.....or builder either.

If he was as nice as "all that" he'd be going to the fun fly tomorrow.