Flight Instruction May 3, 2017: Yes!

Started by Michael, May 03, 2017, 06:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Flight training at TEMAC for Wednesday May 3, 2017, is confirmed for 6pm until dusk.

It will be windy and gusty, and a bit cool, but no rain is forecast. We (the instructors) will do our best to make sure all qualifying students get a good amount of 'air-time'.

TEMAC and MAAC membership must be paid for anyone (students and instructors) to fly.

I intend to be there a couple hours earlier to 'warm up' with a few flights. Of course instructors and other members (with wings) are welcome to fly until 6pm.
Michael

VadimKirillov

That's great. I will be there with my new Timber.

thehaze

Sadly my work schedule isn't cooperating with my desire to fly this spring. Hope everyone has a good time
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Michael

Great time last night.

There was some sport flying 4 pm and 6 pm, including a couple 'jet' maidens.

It started off cool and windy, but gradually became very cold and very windy.  ;D

Anyway, we had more instructors than students, probably due to the weather, but the evening went smoothly. There was not a single student crash nor mishap. Despite the wind, all flights, takeoffs and landings were nice!

Two newer models, not quite trainers, but suitable, were flown: a Valiant and a Timber, both by E-Flite. They handled the wind well, and were easily controlled.

Thanks to all the flight and ground instructors who showed up!  :)
Michael

Crazyflyer

I have met a few people looking to join the club, a few have asked me if they can use a FliteTest foam board plane as they are inexpensive to start.
I understand that generally students are asked to use an apprentice or similar.
If one of those Flitetest  planes has ailerons and wheels, would that be an acceptable plane to train on?

Michael

It is suitable for some training, but (I need to see to confirm) not suitable to earn wings.

Generally, we want to see students able to safely control a larger heavier model.
Michael