E F 1 Racing Orangeville

Started by Polecat, May 13, 2017, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

First race of the season, Sun. May 28/017,  time 10:00am, only 2 weeks away. Who is all coming? Please advise.
Hoping for nice weather and calm winds, the weather man has to be on our side for once.
Bring along a helper as we need pylon judges and timers/lap counters.

Ken Fluney

Polecat

The weather is looking much better, so the race is on tomorrow [May 28].
See you guys there.

Ken

Frank v B

The first race of the season has been confirmed by Ken Fluney for tomorrow.... Sunday, May 28.
I will be at the usual coffee shop at Hiway 9 and 27 (I think), about 5 minutes west of the 400 by 8:15 am, ready to greet Simon at 8:30.

Please cheer us onto victory... or at least second place.  The old Orangeville salts are out to try to kill us every time. ;)

Simon's tree needs pruning as well. ;D

Frank  (the guy who went from DFL two years ago to second place last year.  Yes, Bruce, more than two people showed up. 8))
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

RE: Yes, Bruce, more than two people showed up.

Yeh, more than two people showed up but it must be obvious to everyone that they didn't race.  How else can you explain it.  Nice try.

Bruce

Frank v B

Just got home from Orangeville.... and survived.  Simon H., Glenn N. and I represented TEMAC at the Orangeville EF-1 races.  Thanks to Ken, Rick, Corey, Dave, the other Ken and the support crew for their help, hospitality and support.  The weather was perfect.  Cool enough that we didn't burn in the middle of the flying field.  Warm enough that a T shirt was fine.  It was windy but in my mind that helps on the take-offs and landings.  These EF1's are not the easiest to take off and land because the fin area is so marginal.

A bit of carnage.  Simon's plane was grabbed out of the sky on a landing attempt and broke off the nose.  Rick and Dave had a mid-air at full speed on the straight away.  Rick's plane's wing broke but stayed together.  He managed to fly it inverted for a few hundred meters but when he attempted to bring it in, it augered in from about 75'.  There should be a crop of 8x8 APC props growing there next spring. ;D

Now for the surprise.  When Ken F. read out the results he started reading out the results from last to first.  Simon was second last (my usual place), Glenn was in the middle and then with two places left to read out I thought Ken had forgotten about me.  According to Ken's math, I came in second.  Corey scored a well deserved victory.

My 2nd place was more a testament that luck and sportsmanship played an important part in the results.  Thanks to a lucky first race draw, a gracious 3rd and 4th race opponent (Ken S.) and a borrowed battery from Glenn for the fourth race. As a result someone like me, who deserves to be second last, is walking around with a huge smile.

The racing was fun.

Frank

Polecat

Quote from: Frank v B on May 28, 2017, 05:56:14 PM
Just got home from Orangeville.... and survived.  Simon H., Glenn N. and I represented TEMAC at the Orangeville EF-1 races.  Thanks to Ken, Rick, Corey, Dave, the other Ken and the support crew for their help, hospitality and support.  The weather was perfect.  Cool enough that we didn't burn in the middle of the flying field.  Warm enough that a T shirt was fine.  It was windy but in my mind that helps on the take-offs and landings.  These EF1's are not the easiest to take off and land because the fin area is so marginal.

A bit of carnage.  Simon's plane was grabbed out of the sky on a landing attempt and broke off the nose.  Rick and Dave had a mid-air at full speed on the straight away.  Rick's plane's wing broke but stayed together.  He managed to fly it inverted for a few hundred meters but when he attempted to bring it in, it augered in from about 75'.  There should be a crop of 8x8 APC props growing there next spring. ;D

Now for the surprise.  When Ken F. read out the results he started reading out the results from last to first.  Simon was second last (my usual place), Glenn was in the middle and then with two places left to read out I thought Ken had forgotten about me.  According to Ken's math, I came in second.  Corey scored a well deserved victory.

My 2nd place was more a testament that luck and sportsmanship played an important part in the results.  Thanks to a lucky first race draw, a gracious 3rd and 4th race opponent (Ken S.) and a borrowed battery from Glenn for the fourth race. As a result someone like me, who deserves to be second last, is walking around with a huge smile.

The racing was fun.

Frank

Thanks Temac guys for coming up to race, it was a fun day with lots of good racing. Couldn't ask for better weather, we where due.
Here are the results of 4 rounds  1  Cory Paine      16pts. fast time 1:12
                                                2 Frank V            15                    1:42
                                                3 Glen                 14                    1:34
                                                4 Ken Fluney        13                    1:28
                                                5 Rick Paine          12                    1:20
                                                6 Dave Ford          11                    1:26
                                                7 Simon                10                    1:35
                                                8 Ken Smith            9                    1:54
Next race is Sept. 10
Ken

sihinch

I have a love hate relationship with Ken's crazy racing system. It can be so frustrating at times - if you accidentally cut a corner you have to do an extra lap! How annoying when you accidentally miss a flag by mere millimeters!!!

Here is the damage to my Dara - it was a silly stall on landing. But the structure is all back together now and just needs reinforcing.

bweaver

Re:  According to Ken's math, I came in second.

Frank, Well this way you can say there is always room for improvement.  (With your flying abilities, or Ken's math?)

Good showing TEMAC rep's!   Hope you had fun. 

piker

Quote from: sihinch on May 29, 2017, 08:42:09 AM
I have a love hate relationship with Ken's crazy racing system. It can be so frustrating at times - if you accidentally cut a corner you have to do an extra lap! How annoying when you accidentally miss a flag by mere millimeters!!!

Do they have corner judges?  How do you know if you missed a corner?

cpaine

Thanks guys! I had a great day! (winning helps :) My little Toni grooves.  We were due for good weather. Congrats Frank And Glen
Yup, mid airs suck, but thems the breaks.... dad still got the win but was on a cool down lap... bummer!
Dad has already taken my miss dara off my hands. :)
Yes, we have judges on the course to slap our hands for trying to make it shorter. keeps it fair for every one....
1 cut=extra lap (automatically a lap behind)
2 cuts=disqualified from that heat and Zero points.
Cant wait for the next one!
Cory
maac #26951

Michael

I'd like to include a couple images in the next L-Zone update in MAAC magazine.

Please email photos, if possible.

[email protected]

Michael

piker

Quote from: cpaine on May 29, 2017, 12:17:20 PM
Yes, we have judges on the course to slap our hands for trying to make it shorter. keeps it fair for every one....
1 cut=extra lap (automatically a lap behind)
2 cuts=disqualified from that heat and Zero points.
Cant wait for the next one!
Cory

Simon needs his hand slapped every once in a while  ;D

Cory, that was one of my pet peeves with the racing we were doing at TEMAC.  In an effort to keep our little club racing simple, we didn't have far end flagmen or pylon judges.  I don't think anyone ever cut a lap intentionally, but in the excitement of the moment...  :P

At least we now know how Simon did so well at TEMAC  ;D

Frank v B

Piker,

Yes there were dedicated and well trained flagmen at the far pylon.  We were standing very close to pylons 2 and 3 so they did not need to be called. We cut those without technical assistance! ;D  They used the same rule as we do at Temac that as long as you did the distance it did not matter whether you went over top of a pylon.

Then there was Simon.  His quote was " when you accidentally miss a flag by mere millimeters!!! "
You know Simon well enough to guess they were not silly millimeters but silly millimiles. ;D

Frank

piker

To be honest though, I'm just pushing Simon's buttons.  I never felt he ran a short course at TEMAC.  However, there WERE some who did!!! (not you either, Frank :-)

Frank v B

re: I never felt he ran a short course at TEMAC.

With Nooner racing none of us ever cut the course.... deliberately.  There were times I felt the pylons were moving out, not the planes cutting in.  With the Nooners it was mostly us trying to catch up with the airplane... a polite way of saying we were never really in control. 8)  These planes were programmed to cut the course. ;)

Frank