Float Fly Satuday May 20th!!!

Started by piker, May 15, 2017, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

It's time to get back to float flying after an inactive float flying season last year!   ;D

With the help of Rob Dickenson, we've arranged for a fantastic new (to us) float flying location with open waters, a huge set-up area, convenient location, and permission to fly there.

So, THIS COMING SATURDAY, May 20th, from 5:00 to 9:00, let's get together for our first float fly of the season.

At the Indian Line Campground, located here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.7337674,-79.6292709/43.7360144,-79.6373927/@43.7354095,-79.6398569,15.84z

When you enter the front gate, just let them know you're there for the float fly, and you'll be charged a $6.00 entrance fee to the campground.  I think we'll all agree that this is reasonable for the use of the flying site.  They'll then direct you to the Group Camping area where we'll set-up and fly our hearts out.  Rob say's we can even camp there overnight if anyone wants.

I'll bring my retrieval boat with electric motor.  You bring your seaplanes, chair, jacket, and anticipation of a great evening of float flying!  We have perfect flying weather forecasted for Saturday, so let's get out there and make the best of this new location!

let me know if you have any questions.  otherwise...

See you at the lake!!!

Robert
416-828-8722

bweaver

I am definitely going to make it if I am allowed to fly Saturday evening.  So far I haven't been told 'No', but I have yet to ask.

(See Simon, some of us have restrictions on our flight time too.)

piker

How can you have been told "No" if you haven't asked?   ;D

I know it's a long weekend, which makes it a little challenging as we often make plans for the long weekends, but if we're not going away, then it does offer us an extra day with the wife/family to make up for goofing off on Saturday.  At least that's the angle I'm working.  However, my wife likely won't even know I'm gone until she get's home from work on Saturday night and I'm not home yet  :o

I'm so excited about this new float flying site.  You guys have no idea how hard it is to find a good place for float flying anywhere near GTA, and this one is VERY good.  And we have permission to fly there and we'll likely have it sanctioned with MAAC...  if not this time, then for future events there.  The only negative is that it's in the West end of the city when our club field in in the North/East.  That's why you may have noticed in the TEMAC calendar, a few Scugog float flys.  That's in an effort to balance out the locations.

I hope most of our float flyers can make it.  Who's planning to go?  I know Rob D. is in, and of course I'll be there.  Anyone else?

Michael

Michael

bweaver

;D  I got a "yes".  All I needed to do was to show the Mrs, Robert's post, where he said his wife was working. 

Works for me.

piker

Oh oh!  Trying to get me into trouble???

I also suggest to everyone that if you have rubber boots, you may want bring them as I don't know what the shoreline will be like after the high water levels.  It may be a bit mucky.

Oh, and here are a few pictures of the flying site.  It was a cold and rainy day when Rob and I went to check out the place, but you can see we have plenty of water to fly from and the shoreline is opens with excellent sight lines.  There's plenty of open space for parking and setting up our planes and it's quite secluded so we won't have to worry to much about safety concerns for the general public.  And the flight line faces east so we won't have to work about the sunset being in our eyes.  Also, the prevailing south/west wind should make take-offs and landings a breeze.

Let's hope for calm, pleasant float flying weather for Saturday!

craigc

I have permission as long as she gets to come and I buy dinner.....Out !!   ;D

Craig

piker

Good plan!  See you there   ;D

I hope everyone knows that EVERYONE is invited and encouraged to come out to the float flys.  I just got word from Michael that this event is MAAC sanctioned, meaning that we are flying there legally and we are covered by MAAC.  Great news, and quite a new sensation for us float flyers   ;D

Even if you haven't tried float flying yet, or you simply want to hang out with cool guys, in a beautiful environment, with model planes, come on out and join the fun!

See ya'll there!

Robert

Wingnutz

Have fun everyone! We have guests that date so I will miss a double header day...but I will come to future float flys. The new site sounds great, especially its proximity to 407!
Sea you at the lake!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

I don't want to put a damper on this but the wind forecasts are showing 20 kl winds with 45 kl per hour gusts for this evening. 

I'll keep an eye on this and the weather forecast for changes.  Hopefully it will improve.

bweaver

My batteries are charged and ready to go.  I'll fly the Icon and taxi the Savoia Marchetti if the gusts are too strong (brock, brock, brock, brock)

See you there.  I am excited about it now.

piker

Hmmm.   It's quite nice here at the lake.  Calmer than usual for a sunny day.  Let's hope for the best at Claireville.

See you there!!!

Don't forget it usually calms right down at sunset, so if you can, plan to stick around!

Michael

That was fun!

A great location.

Michael

bweaver

A great time.  What a sight.  Thanks to the two Robs for arranging the float fly.  Next time lets hope the winds are lower.  A great turn out.  Lots of flying regardless of the winds.

Michael

A couple more shots ...
Michael