Float Flying Event Times???

Started by piker, May 23, 2017, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I'd like everyone's opinion on this topic, whether you're a long time float flyer, or brand new to the joy of float flying...

I've always booked the float fly's on a Saturday evening for these reasons:

1.  Evenings are usually best for flying conditions as the wind tends to settle down around 5:00 or 6:00 and then usually calms right down at sunset.  This makes for very nice flying in general, but especially float flying as there's nothing more beautiful than a seaplane flying from a calm lake.

2.  I choose Saturdays rather than a weekday evening as it's easier for travel into or out of the city, and A Saturday is generally a little more relaxed.  I've often considered the Sunday evening as a back-up day if the weather for the Saturday is looking rough.  I can probably do that more often.

I feel like Saturday's are still the best day for these events, especially for me, so we'll continue with that.  But, it seems rare that people stick around for the best time of the evening and usually leave by 7:00 or 8:00.  I assume it's because people get their fill of flying and would rather get home to spend time with the family and maybe have dinner at home.

So I'd like to get your feedback so I we can pick a schedule that works best for most people.

Would you guys rather:

1. Start at 1:00 and fly until 5:00 or 6:00?
2. Keep the 5:00 to 9:00 timing?
3. Start around 1:00 and fly until 9:00 but with a BBQ dinner around 5:00.  I can easily bring a camp BBQ.

Let me know what you think?

Robert

sihinch

bweaver

1 or 3 is good for me too.  I'm always good with a BBQ too...  (Saturday nights are often not good for me though.)

Michael

1 or 3 is better for me, but I'll try anytime.

I prefer to leave Saturday evening/night open for other things.
Michael

octagon

1 and 3 for me too. Like Bruce, Saturday evenings can be a challange.
What could possibly go wrong?