CUB FUN-DAY July 2nd 2017

Started by bweaver, June 13, 2017, 12:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Let's have a CUB FUN-DAY on Sunday July 2nd from 1 p.m. on!

What an iconic aircraft the Piper Cub is!  Let's celebrate this fantastic aircraft by having a Cub Fun-Day at TEMAC Rogo Field.

It was this plane that got me into aviation and model aircraft...  I've never looked back. (Well only on occasion.)

Bring your Cub to the field.

If you don't have a CUB of any sort, any 'yellow aircraft' will do.

If you don't have a CUB or a 'yellow aircraft' any 'high-wing aircraft' will do.

If you don't have a CUB, 'yellow aircraft' or 'high-wing aircraft' any aircraft with a wing or two will do.

Just come out.  Have fun flying and enjoy the company of all the other TEMAC members that can make it.

Wingnutz

Great idea Bruce! As long as the weather is decent, I'll be there!
There were/are several versions of the "Cub" but probably the best known is the yellow J-3. While some sources say the J-3 first flew in 1938, a few list 1937 as the beginning of J-3 production, making 2017 the 80th birthday of the J-3! Happy Birthday!
Will change to Canadian markings on my Carbon Cubs to add Canadian content to this event, the day after Canada's 150th birthday!
With all these high number birthdays to celebrate, suddenly I don't feel so old! ;D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Bruce,

I'll try to be there.  I have an L4 Grasshopper.  It doesn't like me (???) but I will try my best to have it behave.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

The video below depicts a young mans first flight in a Piper Cub. 

I was around seven.  Fortunately for me my next door neighbor owned one.  No one in his family liked to fly... so I would get invited to go along on occasion. 

He had it hangered at Buttonville.  At the time it was a very small airport.  We would fly to various airports around the area.  Land there. I would have a hot chocolate and we would take off and return home. Yes on beautiful days we would fly with the door open too.  Because I was small at the time (can you imagine) I occupied the front seat.  On a number of times I was allowed to fly it. (At least I thought I was).

Loved this plane.  Loved the experience.  Still love the plane. Thanks Uncle Wally and Piper.

Don't forget, a week from Sunday is Cub Fun Day at TEMAC.  Get your Cub(s) primed and ready to fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMm1oJQQlOw

BJROB

OH Yah lets fly some cubs...
great video too
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Wingnutz

In 1937/38, a brand new J3 sold for $1000-$2000 USD...

Frank v B

Mr. Nutz,

Now a quarter scale electric model with brand name equipment goes for $1,000- $2,000!.

Of course in 1938 you would be wealthy if you pulled in $1,000 per year. ;D 

Frank

sihinch

I can offer a quarter scale model with brand name equipment for just $600!

Wingnutz

Quote from: sihinch on June 24, 2017, 05:01:09 PM
I can offer a quarter scale model with brand name equipment for just $600!
Maybe you should hang on to the quarter scale model Simon...at the same rate as the 1937 J3, your $600 model will be worth $45,000 in eighty years and you get to fly it in the meantime!

Frank v B

Mr. Nutz,

re: "... will be worth $45,000 in eighty years"

...but then we have to put up with Simon for another eighty years.

I suppose worse things could happen. ;)

Frank

sihinch

Frank, you say the nicest things!

bweaver

I have wiped the dust off of her and she is ready for flight come July 2nd at the Cub Fun Day afternoon.

This is my Sig Clipped Wing Cub.   Flies well and repairs easily.

I bet she'll be one of the prettiest Cubs there, unless... you bring out yours.

What have you got?

:D

Frank v B

Bruce,

re:"... any 'yellow aircraft' will do."

So you ask us to bring a yellow Cub or plane and you are planning to come to the party with a white one. I guess if you organize the party you can make up the rules as you go along. ;D

Mine is Green Drab.  (L4 Grasshopper).  "Green" describes the colour, "Drab" describes the pilot. :)

Frank

bweaver

There is a difference between; "... any 'yellow aircraft' will do." or "bring a yellow cub"

Now I can see why Donald Tr.... is upset with being misquoted or misunderstood.

Now if you really want to make the event fun we'll put your drab green 'grasshopper' up against my white cub.  Better yet, bring some ribbon.....

Wingnutz

"This is my Sig Clipped Wing Cub.   Flies well and repairs easily.

I bet she'll be one of the prettiest Cubs there, unless... you bring out yours.

What have you got?

:D"

Only Frank has picked up on Bruce's challenge, so here's one of the Cubs I'm bringing and yes, it's white (I think most Super Cubs were)...but it's Canadian! The real plane is a Canadian PA-18 bush plane on floats with a red spinner. Will do the floats and spinner when I get time. The model is an eFlite Super Cub 25e...slightly modified to Wingnutz's specifications (moved the rudder and elevator servos as I didn't like where eFlite put 'em and changed registration to a real Canadian Super Cub)