VTOL Maiden Crash and Recover

Started by Candu, July 24, 2017, 12:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candu

Maiden my redesigned VTOL this morning. All looks good until the left propeller broke off in mid flight.  The  Loc8tor took me directly to the crash site. First time in the 5 - 6 feet corn field this year. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/E7J2M5F8LBc

sihinch

Sorry for the loss but amazing video! I felt like I was watching Predator in the corn field!

BJROB

Great video.
sorry about your plane,
its going to be challenging finding downed planes.
your locator is a great idea.
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Palkina

Very interesting video. Sorry for the additional repair work. Was the propeller already in bad shape?. How heavy is the plane?

Thank you for sharing your experience in setting your custom VTOL.

Frank v B

Field of dreams...shattered. :'(

At least you put your locator in the airplane, unlike some other Morning Crew member who left his clean and safe at home.... while crashing a plane among the corn stalks two weekends ago. :-X

That corn is growing about 6" per week now.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Candu

I 3D printed a few Loc8tor mounts and taped them to my planes. The Loc8tor Tx can easily be snapped into or pop out of the mounts. This makes it easy to move the Tx  from one plane to another.

I don't really know why the prop failed in mid air but from the ground, it sounded like a gun shot and I saw a piece separated from the plane. The frame and motors appears to be undamaged from the crash. All electronics appears to be ok. The left motor tilt servo is damaged as well as the 2 front props. The fuse is a total write off but another fuse could easily be constructed with one piece of dollar store foam board.

Frank v B

Candu,

re:"another fuse could easily be constructed with one piece of dollar store foam board".

I'll finance the new fuselage. ;D

Frank

Bigstik

Bigstik

Candu

Quote from: Frank v B on July 24, 2017, 09:24:32 PM
Candu,

re:"another fuse could easily be constructed with one piece of dollar store foam board".

I'll finance the new fuselage. ;D

Frank

Gee thanks Frank!  Since I now got some financial backing, I went and purchased the premium black foam board for $1.25/sheet.  The damaged fuselage is removed and the new black fuse is almost complete...

Frank v B

Frank,

re "black foam board for $1.25/sheet".

I'll have to get financing for the extra $.25 but you will have it on Sunday if you are showing up at Warbirds Day.

Frank

Candu

Quote from: Frank v B on July 28, 2017, 05:35:38 AM
Frank,

re "black foam board for $1.25/sheet".

I'll have to get financing for the extra $.25 but you will have it on Sunday if you are showing up at Warbirds Day.

Frank

It will be ready by then for your final approval and acceptance.  ;D

https://youtu.be/VQ71OXTULSM

The morning crew's R&D department thank you for the financial support: ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/-diMMHm5jfs