August 19th Float Fly On Hold

Started by piker, August 15, 2017, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

We have a float fly scheduled for this Saturday, August 19th at the Claireville site, and reserved with the campground, but we are still trying to resolve a misunderstanding with the Humber Club over use of the site.  We were unaware that the Humber club had registered the site as an additional club flying site and only found out when our Zone Director got an email from the President of Humber expressing his concern with us flying there and getting sanctions from MAAC to do so.  We really had no idea we were stepping on the Humber Clubs toes by flying there.  In fact I checked with a friend and executive member of the Humber Club before flying there for the first time to make sure they are cool with it.

Anyway, Michael is speaking with the President of the club, who is trying to work it out with their executive to make sure they as a club are O.K. with us flying there.  We'll see what happens.  In the meantime, the float fly for this Saturday is on hold.  Hopefully we will get the go ahead before Saturday.  Stay tuned to here for any update as soon as I know what's going on.

Robert

sihinch

Thanks Robert and Michael. Fingers crossed.

So is it already a MAAC approved flying site?

piker

It is.  Michael has been getting sanctions for the float flys we've held there.  That's how Humber found out we were flying there and got a little miffed.  We've made it clear to both the Humber Pres and to our Zone Director that we didn't know and meant no harm.

pmackenzie

IMO this is something that is entirely up to the property owner.
Just because they have the site registered should not mean that it is their exclusive domain (as far as MAAC sanction is concerned).

I am not saying that there should be no co-operation between the clubs, clearly it would be better if there was.
Just that the position that it is their site alone is not their call to make.

Pat MacKenzie

piker

Agreed Pat.  As you say, it would be much better to have a cooperation/friendship with the other club, but it does seems strange to me that they could have exclusive right of use over a site like this... simply because MAAC sanctioned the flying site.

We're still waiting to hear what they have to say.

piker

octagon

What a crying shame! Will never understand it.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

Well, we've received no feedback from Humber regarding our reasonable request to share the Claireville flying site in time for our float fly today (They know we had a date booked for today), so today's event is canceled.  I left it to the last minute in hopes to get some feedback from them.

I'll keep everyone updated regarding any further discussion.