Winter meeting subjects?

Started by sihinch, October 04, 2017, 08:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I've been a member of TEMAC for 7 years now, and have been attending the winter meetings every year. I hate to miss them!

For me, the meeting is a chance to hang out with TEMAC friends and chat all things RC and aircraft during the dark cold winter months (when only Andy is silly enough to fly!) I love them for the social aspect and to see what projects people have planned or underway.

But I also enjoy the subject matter of the presentations and always learn something new. We've had presentations on float flying, quads, FPV, painting techniques, ESCs, power systems, paint colours, building with depron and lipos (they will kill you!) Oh, and "flying nicely" - how could I forget Michael?

So, quite honestly, the idea bank is running a bit low, now! In December I have already booked the famous band "Maynard Hill" for the AGM & slideshow.  But what else do you want to hear about? Or talk about?

Give us some ideas here, on the forum, for what you'd like to see during the winter social meetings and the Board will do their very best to make them happen.

Go!

Frank v B

Simon,

re:"But what else do you want to hear about? Or talk about?"

Anything model airplanes! :D

Please remember that less than half the crowd was around when we had our first meeting at the Three Monkees for the Christmas party.  Half the members are newer than that so feel free to re-run some of the older successful meeting topics.

How does a lipo charger work, what is the difference in now it charges Nicads, lead acid or Nimhs batteries, difference between Lipo and Li-ion, how to store the batteries over the winter.

How to decide on a power system for an airplane.  You know, the motorless plane you picked up at a swap meet.  In-runner vs outrunner, low or high KV.

How to trim a brand new airplane.

How does 2.4 gig work, what is DSM2 versus DSMX, how to program an ESC (brake, soft start, etc).  I have no clue!

We all know that a presentation topic is just to get a presentation started so the insults can flow from the floor. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Palkina

Simon,

I'd suggest the following topics to fine tune concepts like:

• Type of propellers, selection based on aircraft type and used motor, speed vs torque
  • CG and calculation tips
  • Aerodynamics and stalling

Frank v B

Subject: How to change a shaft on an E-Flite motor (450 BL).

Subject came up as a result of corn stalking my Taylorcraft 450.

Frank

ps: my 150kmh post hole digger Pogo is history since it went in about 8" into the ground but the spinner was still in one piece and the shaft was not bent.  That surprised me.  Main message: if you are going to auger in a plane and destroy it.... go in straight into moist soil to save the motor. ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on October 04, 2017, 08:03:27 PM
I've been a member of TEMAC for 7 years now, and have been attending the winter meetings every year. I hate to miss them!

For me, the meeting is a chance to hang out with TEMAC friends and chat all things RC and aircraft during the dark cold winter months (when only Andy is silly enough to fly!) I love them for the social aspect and to see what projects people have planned or underway.

But I also enjoy the subject matter of the presentations and always learn something new. We've had presentations on float flying, quads, FPV, painting techniques, ESCs, power systems, paint colours, building with depron and lipos (they will kill you!) Oh, and "flying nicely" - how could I forget Michael?

So, quite honestly, the idea bank is running a bit low, now! In December I have already booked the famous band "Maynard Hill" for the AGM & slideshow.  But what else do you want to hear about? Or talk about?

Give us some ideas here, on the forum, for what you'd like to see during the winter social meetings and the Board will do their very best to make them happen.

Go!

Just for the record!  8)

Frank v B

Andy,

OK.  That was New Year's day. 
It was not so much about celebrating a new year as it was successfully ditching the previous one. :D  Then we learned this year's crop would be.... corn!  Arghh! :-X

Hey Execs.  Do we have a crop forecast for the coming year.?  How about letting it lie fallow.  Soybeans or bust. ;D

Corn eats way to many planes.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

That is the beauty of flying in the winter - there are NO CROPS to eat your planes, and there are NO BUGS to eat the pilots!  What more could you possibly want?!!   8)

Andy

bweaver

Michael

Great meeting last night! I think about 28 members were there.

Simon's presentation was funny and informative.

Lot's of friends, good food and drink, and laughs!

I'm looking forward to the next meeting.
Michael

Palkina

Thank you Simon for your presentation. It was very interesting, informative and entertaining.

I got the idea that it is an art the selection of a proper prop. And no matter how advanced the computational tools being used in the process, it is the pilot flying experience that ultimately will define the final selection.

Thank you for the chosen approach to present the topic. There were some rules of thumb being explored and discussed that enriched my current knowledge of the RC building and flying.