Found my Spitfire Mk XIV in the corn Sat. Morning

Started by Richard_RC_Guy, September 16, 2017, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard_RC_Guy

-

Frank v B

Richard,

Material for the repair/build class.  :) Easy to fix. 
Make sure you use round toothpicks to bridge the foam break and add a strip of fibreglass over the joint on the inside.  I would use 5 minute epoxy.  Remember the two steps in repair:
1) assemble the plane as true as you can get it (thrust line), no matter how weak the joints are.
2) re-inforce everything from the inside.

Good luck.  Great to see someone other than Bruce and me inspecting the corn.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Speaking of inspecting the corn...   Yesterday morning, I brought out my SlG Clipped Wing Cub for a go around. 

Mike B had bought one of the 'loss of signal alarms' from me when I bought out what HK had in stock (25 for the morning crew). 

When it was connected to Mike's plane it wasn't working correctly, so being the 'good guy' as I am, I promptly bought it back and installed it in the Cub.  He put his new plane back in the car, not wanting to challenge the corn.

Say no more. The alarm worked both pre-flight once installed and after a flight, ending up in the corn.

Members of the morning crew are experienced in having a good line of site of aircraft going down.  I grabbed my phone, a recovery bag and a flag and entered the dark side (corn).   After wading through the corn long enough to believe I had gone far enough, I stopped for a confirmation of my direction over the phone.  In the silence of the moment I heard, BEEP...BEEP...........................................BEEP.  The sound was emanating from directly ahead of me.  I promptly followed the BEEPs solemnly carrying the flag and my 'collection bag' to find my Clipped Wing Cub intact with only what appears to be minor damage to the wing struts and some to my pride.  My pride has since mended.  I will be working on the Cub.

Thank you Mike.  :-*

Thank you BEEPER.