Lost Spectra Glider

Started by octagon, September 26, 2017, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Just when you thought you have seen it all, something else happens. I got to ROGO about 3 this afternoon. I had driven down from Barrie and was watching the cumulus clouds and thinking of the thermals that they are usually the top of. So when I got to Rogo I got out my Spectra glider that was built from a kit last winter. I launched as normal and climbed to about 300 feet over the south end of the runway, probably about 200 feet back into the corn. At this point I decided to sit down for an anticipated long glide, as there seemed to be lots of lift. I walked back to the chair which was just behind the pilot station at the south end of the runway. I turned away from the plane so I did not have to walk backwards, as there was no one else at the field and I did not want to trip. I turned back as I got to the chair and the plane had vanished. I know it sounds impossible, if I were reading this I would think so too, but it was 300 feet up over the field, headed into the wind, so I thought it was safe to get settled and then start flying it again. I thought at first it was maybe just somehow facing away or something, so I applied power and up stick to try and make it visible. Nothing. Spoilers up to force it to dive so I might pick it up, but nothing. Full power and full up, hoping for a loop and I would spot it. Nothing. I ended up putting up the spoilers with full up elevator and full rudder hoping to catch sight of it. I feel it did not have time to break up and it had no reason why it would. I have flown the plane many times and it is completely hands off trimmed. I have been flying sailplanes since the mid 70s and have never ever had this thing happen before. The sky was clear, I was not that high that it could have gone out of sight, I only took my eyes of it for 10 seconds tops but it disappeared! If anyone finds it please let me know. It is probably the only navy blue winged, spoiler equipped, white fuselage with a red strip around it Spectra lost in the corn or somewhere. (Aliens took it maybe?).
What could possibly go wrong?

Andy Hoffer

"What could possibly go wrong?"   ???

My deepest condolences, Rob.  Better call out the FPV drones.

Andy