Small Explosion and Fire at TEMAC

Started by Michael, August 08, 2004, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Here's what happened and here's new protocol for charging Lipo's at TEMAC.

On Sunday morning Aug. 8, 2004 I was charging a 2-cell pack of 2100 mah lipo's from my car's battery with my Astroflight 109 charger, on my car front, under the hood.

While I was talking to other members we heard loud noises that sounded like someone was dropping wood at the lumber yard next door. We didn't give it a second thought.

Then we heard a small explosion, sort of like, but louder than, lighting a barbeque that has too much lighter fluid in it. We then saw a good size fire under the hood of my car. I put it out quickly, perhaps under 10 seconds. Regardless, $200 worth of batteries "went up in smoke" and my car sustained a small amount of damage. I was lucky that we were near my car when this happened.

I don't know what happened nor why.

So, from my bad luck, the following new logical and rational rules now apply at TEMAC.

1. Lipos are not to be charged from car batteries, near cars, on the wood tables, or near anything flamable. A carefully chosen place, such as a grass-free dirt area is ideal.

2. We will need a small fire extinguisher at TEMAC. If anyone has a small extinguisher and is willing to donate it to TEMAC, let me know. If not, I will purchase one and mount it on one of the tables this Wednesday.

Please continue to be careful, and have fun. There were several flyers there this morning, and I heard that there were even more flyers out on Saturday morning.

I want to encourage all members to come out and fly. Several members have improved their flying skills substantially and have earned their wings. The field is in pretty good shape.

If you want to earn your wings, or even if you already have your wings and want to improve your skills, please join us. I'm sure that this Wednesday evening (6pm-ish) several members will be flying.

If anyone has any good quality recent photo images taken at TEMAC, please email them to me, and I'll post them on the TEMAC website.

[email protected]

Michael
Michael

piker

Oh man.  Good thing it wasn't worse. Do you think the current was too high?

I was going to suggest we have a fire extinguisher at the field.  I guess think clinches it.

The best situation is a patch of dirt with nothing around but the charger and charge battery.  At least then the damage is minimal.

I hope it never happens again....to anyone.

Robert

Leo

Recently noticed a club member at the Toronto Club charging his LIPO's in a metal fire proof box.
This looked to me the prefered way to charge LIPO's and prevent accidents.

Leo
Leo