Yes!!! There will be build classes this winter!

Started by Frank v B, September 13, 2017, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

In keeping with our tradition of finding any excuse possible to get together over the winter months, we will be continuing with our build classes.  The final details are still being worked out but we will improve on last year's approach.  The subjects will include the following:

1) Build something... from scratch.  I will be building the Chica, a speed 400 type hand-launched shoulder wing design by Ton van Munsteren as published in the May 2017 issue of RCM&E.  I flew this plane when I visited with Ton in Holland.  It is very flyable, very simple, very inexpensive, sturdy and repairable.  It has a flat constant chord wing, a shoulder wing for easy gripping and launching and a flat bottom so it will gently skid to a stop (note to Andy- no skis required for winter flying 8)).  About 34" span, 3 channel.
If you want to build your own plane of any design, bring it in and build along.  Every plane goes through the same 7 basic build steps 1) read a plan 2) cut some wood  3) glue the wood, preferably in the right places  4) sand the wood  5) cover it  6) put the power train and radio in it.  7) final check and prep for maiden flight.

2) Repair something- we will again run a repair shop on how to repair airplanes, whether foam or balsa.  Especially for wounded Apprentices.  Learn from the TEMAC crash masters (instructors ;))

3) Cover something- one of the instructors will walk you through the covering process.  If a plane is made of balsa it will need to be covered whether it is a repair or a new build.

4) Quad something- The Hagens brothers did a great job guiding members through the build, set-up and programming stages of quadding.  Yes, you heard it here first- quadding  (verb- to synchronize 4 motors to achieve flight or to drive one crazy 4 times as fast or 4 times as much).

5) Warwing something- Bruce has agreed (he had no choice! ;D) to run another Warwing build class, but this year over at least two meetings so all questions can be answered during the build process.  Bruce will let us know when the kits are in season*

The build classes will be once a month and will be scheduled once the meeting schedule has been confirmed.

Frank

* Warwing kit building co-incides with the Clementine Orange season.  The wooden shipping containers are the motor mounts.  If they change to cardboard we are screwed :).

Below is a photo of the Chica in flight.  The second photo is of me with Ton van Munsteren from May this year.  He is holding the Chica.... after he let me fly it :D.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Chappers

Frank - As I did not have enough opportunity to verbally abuse you at the field this summer, I plan on attending the build class to get my fill!  ;) I guess I will need to bring some balsa and glue to justify this primary motivation - the Chica plan looks interesting - could be the start of another pylon style racing class...What motor/battery combo is in it?

English Simon (not El Presidente, the other one).

Frank v B

Simon (not el presidente),

The lack of abuse was noted all summer. :)

Great to have you join in the abuse build classes.

I will be using a 28mm inrunner.  My favourite is the E-Flite Series 6 2700 kv. (I have 5 of them)  On 3 cells (2200) and a 5x5 prop it puts out 300 watts.  The Series 6 is a 34 amp continuous motor on 3 cells (377 watts).  An inrunner is safer in the nose because it does not rub/wear on the wires as an outrunner would.  HK has many equivalents.

Ton the designer used a milder 1900 kv motor with a little larger prop (approx. 7x6).  He had about 200 watts going through it on 3 cells.

Frank (not Candu.  The better other one) ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"