First build class- Wed Oct 25

Started by Frank v B, October 15, 2017, 08:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The first build class is scheduled for 10 days from now.  Wednesday, October 25 at Col Mustards pub in Markham.  We will start with dinner at 6 and the class will begin at 7 pm.

This year we have several projects on tap. In the first build class we will tackle the following:
1) repair class- how to repair a broken balsa wing.  A 44" span E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 folded a wing landing among the corn.  It has broken in half with both the leading edge and trailing edges completely broken.  Bruce Weaver will handle "how to repair the broken corn stalk!" ;D
2) Bring your own winter project whether you are at the starting line of a kit built model, a scratch build from plans or a repair.  We will have you outline the problem and we will assign a mentor who can coach you on your project.
3) Quads: If the Hagenseses ( :D) want to re-run the quad class or quad repair or set-up class they are more than welcome.

By the end of the class I will get a sense of the type of projects the participants are tackling and will taylor the future classes to them.  At the appropriate time you will be introduced to the Chica and Bruce's Warwing which we will build in future classes right from cutting the wood/foam to building the fuselage and the wing, covering them and installing the motor and radio.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

Lol. I showed today. Maybe it was just a way to get out of the house.

Frank v B

News Flash!!!!

Rob Pike has just confirmed (at great expense*) that he will be attending the Build Classes to continue with his "Tricks with Balsa Sticks".  He will bring in whatever project he wants to work on so he can fly it next spring. The other instructors will fill in the other build disciplines as required.

Frank

* a bottle of Coke! :D

piker

I look forward to getting out with the gang after another summer of no flying.  I really hope to get out flying A LOT more next summer, so I need to build this winter.

I'm not sure how many sticks I'll use during my build at the meetings.  I'm thinking of building the Sig King Kobra "in class".  Mostly sheet work I believe.  But I am working with sticks at home.  I'll bring that project in to show off next week, or at the next Pilots meeting.  Depends on where I am with the build.

http://www.sigplanes.com/assets/images/products/SIGRC54.jpg

octagon

Like the look of that plane Rob. I have been working on an old Sagitta kit that I was given. Then I will be starting an Airsail Chipmunk. I got the kit in London at the swap meet. Kit is old, but the wood is good. Came from New Zealand in the 90s.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

Ooooo... nice!

You'll probably be finished the Chipmunk before I get my plans unrolled!   ;D

piker

I'm looking forward to the Build Class tomorrow night!!!  Good times for sure!   ;D

Crazyflyer

Hi Guys, sorry (or you are welcome!) but I don't think the Hagens' will be there tomorrow.   ???

Stephan

piker

It's going to be so civilized!   :D

Hey all you closet builders!  Come on out to the Build Class tonight.  If you think you'd like to build something this winter, you can get ideas, discuss your deepest building desires, and walk away with a seed of inspiration growing in your heart.

If you have a kit or plan you'd like to build, bring it out and tell us about it.  Or if you're like me and you have a bunch of projects started, bring one out and show it off.  I'm bringing the fuselage of the latest plane I'm working on.  I'll also start my "in class" project tonight (the one mentioned above).

And of course we'll have our professional crasher... I mean Repair Expert on hand to show some awesome repair techniques and approaches.  A VERY useful way to spend a dark and cool Wednesday evening.

I hope to see ya'll there!!!

Robert

sihinch

I had to drive back from New Jersey last night and got back after midnight. So I've had little time to plan my "project" for tonight. So I'm going to keep it simple!

I'm setting up an Rx in a new plane tonight! And maybe planning the installation of my FPV pan & tilt system.

Hey, it's still a job I'd have to do at home if I wasn't able to be out with you Guys.

piker

I thought you'd be at Nathan Phillips Square!

sihinch

Frank v B

Gerald is coming and wants to convert a plane from land to water/snow by installing floats.  I suggested Piker could do a quick and dirty summary of installing floats (size, placement of step vs CG and incidence).  Piker knows this stuff inside out....or he can just tell Gerald to RTFM.*

Frank

* Flyzone Beaver

Frank v B

Great to have so many people come out for the build session.  I think I counted 16 in total.  Some of the projects

- Rob D.-  a power glider
- Adam a power glider, a glider and another glider for a change of pace.
- Bruce- a PT 19 with well seasoned wood (20 years)
- Cadez- a Walrus flying boat
- Simon Chapman- an Elder 40
- Piker- a Sig King Cobra
- Michael- anything and everything
- Carlos- a Cub wing for what looked to be a Herr Engineering Cub
- BJ- an old monoplane
- I am building the Chica Speed 400 racer starting the next meeting.

Simon H. will continue on his quest to install a receiver into a Waco (the plane, not the pilot ;D) biplane that transferred to his hangar.

Others, including myself, have to correct a summer's worth of stupidity like repairing a wing.

Bruce will start the Warwing Class once the clementines are in season for the all important motor mounts.

A fun evening.  Thanks for attending.

Frank

bweaver

It was a fun evening. 

It was great to see Rob D., Rob P. and Simon actually building during the evening.  You guys are more organized than I could ever be to manage that away from my workbench.

Frank's tips on the balsa wing repair was both informative and useful. The tip as simple as approaching your repairs from the bottom of the wing, as opposed to messing up the finish on the top of the wing, hadn't crossed my mind before (many things fail to cross it and/or sink in as well). Also demonstrating and describing the use of some other materials such as carbon fiber cloth strands, rods and Kevlar string for reinforcing made a lot of sense (I wasn't expecting that from Frank).

Looking forward to the next session for more tips and to see and hear about the progress of others projects.