Sopwith Triplane Look-a-like Construction Made of 2 Parkzone SE5A's

Started by bweaver, November 02, 2017, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I am starting my fun aircraft reconstruction project.

What could I do with 2 crashed Parkzone SE5A foamies?  Having 4 wings, and remnants of 2 half-decent fuselages and tail surfaces, I thought and thought, until it hurt. (it didn't take long)

Cadez and I discussed the project at the field.  While I thought of making a Fokker DR1, Greg proposed a Sopwith Triplane.  After looking on the internet for comparison images for both aircraft, I decided to go with the Sopwith Triplane.

I got some drawings and photos off of Google Images to help me in planning and making necessary modifications to the existing parts.

After comparing the two fuselages, I stripped the SE5A fuselage and shaped it to have a similar profile of the Sopwith's.  This involved removing all the junk and cutting away the top portion of the fuselage. 

The original motor was removed and a larger 15 size is being installed for more power.  The additional weight in the nose will also be helpful for CG purposes, so I am not concerned with this.

The first thing that has to be done is install a cockpit for the Sopwith centrally situated above the bottom wing. 

Then I will be modifying the fuselage sides and make a new cowling to reflect the Sopwith's. 

The photos below illustrate what I have done up til now.

Frank v B

Bruce,

Good thing you only crashed two biplanes. ;D ;D

Frank

ps: don't be inspired. :D
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Hey Bruce,
after the season I have had, if you need extra wings to try and build that plane that Frank sent a picture of, I can help you out!
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

The following slides illustrate the next steps taken in the construction of the triplane.

bweaver

Continued having more fun.

bweaver

And yet still more fun...

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

bweaver

Still at it...

bweaver

Now that the wings are on, onto the landing gear and finishing touches....

sihinch

bweaver

Even though Simon says that the propeller is in the wrong place, I plodded on and finished the aircraft.  (Besides I don't know what he's talking about.  It's located at the front.)

It took 6 oz of lead added to the cowl to balance it.  Now I can't wait to maiden it.

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

The Sopwith Triplane Look-a-like takes to the air May 7th and 8th... successfully yet! 

Flies quite majestically.

Thanks for taking the pictures Vic.

sihinch

That's marvelous Bruce. Is super impressive. I can't wait to see it fly with my own eyes (because these could be fake!?)