Warwing Combat Build Season Is Upon Us (ORDER NOW)

Started by bweaver, November 21, 2017, 10:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I have 8 standard size servos to donate to the Warwing build class.  Bruce and I will decide at the build class who is going to benefit from the donation.  Rest assured it will depend on how long you have been in this hobby (in this incarnation).  Guys like Graham, Richard and BJ are at the head of the list. For guys like Bruce, Glenn and me, standard servos are the equivalent to a closet full of wire coat hangers.  It seems like we started out with just two of them. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

VadimKirillov

Gil.E

"I'm just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you're risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

ethane

Hi hope we are not too late!  We are done with Robotics for the year so now can focus on more important things like building warnings :-)

I think the boys both want to build one, there is a small chance I would like to build one too - if there are enough to go around!  Or maybe I'll just help Alex.  So at least 2 kits for the Elbaz family.   

Thank you for organizing this, we are looking forward to participating in the wreckage or at least feeding the corn monster at the field next year!

Tory, Ethan, and Alex.

bweaver

Warwing Kit ordering has now CLOSED!

Everyone's orders have been accounted for. 

Tory, Ethan's Warwing kit is free as promised last year.  (He still has to get his wings though.)

Now off to LOWES>>>>>>>> ;D

tuck

bweaver

Frank v B

Ethan and Tory,

re: "Tory, Ethan's Warwing kit is free as promised last year.  (He still has to get his wings though.)"

I will donate 2 standard size servos and a 25 amp speed controller from the Bert Dunk collection.

Frank

bweaver

Just in case anyone was wandering how the project is coming along?

octagon

Wow, you have been busy. Looks like the pictures that Seagull model company posts on Facebook!
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

BJROB

OK Bruce
That's awesome....   :)
you must have a system....  ::) ..... right???
Looks so good... :o
the build class is so much fun cant wait... ;D
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

Yes BJ I have a system.  (NO FRANK IT DOES NOT INCLUDE BEER - NOT MY FAVORITE WINTER BEVERIDGE) 

My system includes motivation.  For example,  I am motivated this year to make the build even easier than last years build session.  Watching participants last year was painful.  For the record, last year's build prize goes to Rob Dickinson for having his Warwing built and also being able to leave early because he had another commitment. All this was done while others where scratching their heads and other parts...

Trust me... this years build is going to be significantly easier (any ******* can do it) and could be finished in one evening build session or two build sessions at the most.

All the kits are finished and ready to go. 

Here is what we have to do for and at the January build session.

To complete the Warwing you will require:

•Bring your transmitter and a 1800 – 2200 3 cell battery  for testing.
•Bring 3 or 4 clamps for clamping plywood to fuselage.
•Bring 5 minute or 15-minute epoxy,  (if 15 minute epoxy is selected, also bring your patience) –
•Bring paraphernalia for mixing and applying epoxy (Also bring waxed paper or something similar to prevent glue getting on tables)
•Bring a knife suitable for cutting out servo holes in wing and trimming foam.
• Bring electric motor and ESC, mounting screws, nuts and bolts, blind nuts – your choice, (examples of a suitable electric motor include - Rimfire .10, Turnigy G10, alternatively any brushless motor and ESC from a foamy aircraft, such as a Parkzone, Eflite, Durafly, FMS, or similar 1100 to 1200 mm wingspan aircraft)
•Bring 2 servos and mounting screws or alternative glue for securing servos to wing.
•Bring 2 pushrods and linkages for servo to elevon connections. (2 plywood control horns are provided as part of kit)
•Bring a receiver and 2 sided tape for securing same
•A battery is necessary for finding balance point and battery placement (typically 3 cell 1800 to 2200 mah is used)
•You may also require servo wire extensions, but they aren't necessary until making the Warwing ready to fly.

Building Instructions 

1.   Protect the table you are working on from exposure to epoxy, by using waxed paper, newspaper etc. at wing hole locations etc.
2.   Test fit the upper fuselage to wing.  Ensure the fuselage fits flat on the wing. Mix epoxy and secure the fuselage to the wing., Let cure/dry.
3.   Epoxy the plywood reinforcing to one side of the fuselage.  Secure with clamps. Let cure/dry
4.   Epoxy 2 pieces of triangular stock at front of fuselage.  The black ink mark on the triangular pieces faces forward.  The ends without ink marks face the rear of the fuselage.
5.   Cut/slice elevons for inserting control horns.  Epoxy the control horns with the pushrod hole situated over the hinge line.
6.   Mark and cut out the servo locations in the wing for servo installations.
7.   Some may wish to use the plywood pieces for mounting the servos with screws.  In this instance epoxy the plywood mounts.
8.   Do not permanently install the servos YET.
9.   Epoxy the bottom fuselage skid to the underside of the wing.  Ensure it is straight and in line with the top fuselage.
10.   Epoxy the two triangular motor mount pieces to the bottom wing and fuselage skid.  The black ink mark on the triangular pieces faces forward. Let cure/dry.
11.   Epoxy the plywood motor mount to the triangular stock and foam. Let cure/dry.
12.   Install motor and ESC.
13.   Temporarily place receiver and connect ESC and servos.  Test location of battery to ensure the plane balances 16 inches from the trailing REAR edge of the wing. 
14.   Once the locations of the electronics have been determined, install Velcro to secure battery.  Permanently install receiver with double sided tape.
15.   Connect pushrods to the temporarily installed servos.  Test elevons for functionality before permanently installing servos.  Once elevons are working correctly permanently install the servos.
16.   Paint the Warwing to suit your tastes.  (Large colourful target rings are suitable and I find them desirable.)
17.   Install a zip tie at rear of fuselage for ribbon attachment.

GET READY TO BUILD A WARWING

Frank v B

Hey Andy,

re: Bruce's "(any ******* can do it)"

Bruce says that even you can do it.! :D

Frank

bweaver

Frank, as they say- "Those that can, do.   Those that can't..... "

By the way, how long has it taken you to build a Warwing.  I have heard rumors you have been stumped with a few of the construction techniques required to complete it.  Bring it out to the next build session and you will get some help to finish it.  :-*