Check this new plane out

Started by sihinch, November 22, 2017, 08:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Michael

Michael

I think I'm leaning more towards ARFs this coming season rather than another big balsa build.

I also like the E-Flite Texan that's coming out, and this F18 looks like a stable and solid flyer.

http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-rochobby-f-a-18f-super-hornet-70mm-edf-jet-4475
Michael

sihinch

Now that F-18 IS joining my hangar!

Michael

I emailed my LHS to see if he can get one for me.
Michael

sihinch

Pinnacle can. I know because Ron & I already spoke!!!

Bigstik

Piece of trivia. The F-18 Super Hornet was originally designed by Northrop as the YF-17.
Bigstik

mawz

Quote from: Bigstik on November 23, 2017, 05:12:33 PM
Piece of trivia. The F-18 Super Hornet was originally designed by Northrop as the YF-17.

The backstory on the Hornet family is actually pretty interesting.

The tale starts with the N-102 Fang, a 1956 design study by Northrop based on feedback from pilots during the Korean War (the same set of feedback that lead to the F-104 design when interpreted by Kelly Johnson at Lockheed). It eventually evolved into the  Northrop N-156, which was designed in the late 50's. It was in turn developed into the T-38 and F-5A, the latter of which was further developed into the F-5E. The lead designer of this program was Edgar Schmued, the lead designer on the Mustang and Fury/Sabre programs at NAA.

When the LWF program debuted, Northrop took the F-5E and upscaled it, moving the design to a twin tail and a shoulder mount wing at the same time. That was the YF-17 Cobra. It beat out a F-104 variant (the CL-1200 Lancer) among other designs to become one of the finalists, finally losing to the YF-16 primarily due to a lack of power and range with the GE15 engines. When the navy came looking for a lightweight fighter & attack aircraft in the VFAX program (initially two different aircraft on the same basic airframe), Northrop partnered with McDonnell Douglas to navalize and scale the YF-17 up again to solve the issues with the Cobra (lack of range and power) and increase payload (LWF had almost no strike capability, the Navy needed that capability). This resulted in the F/A-18 Hornet.

Then some 20 years later when the Navy needed a new strike fighter to replace the A-6 and F-14, MDD came back with a pitch for a new aircraft that was again a scale up of the previous design in the family, resulting in the F-18E/F Super Hornet (which is some 25% larger than the F/A-18).

It's pretty amazing that an aircraft family that dates back to the 50's is being sold today as a new frontline fighter.

There's also two other direct members of the family, the F-20 Tigershark, which was largely a J79 powered mix of YF-17 and F-5E, and the F-18L, which was Northrop's unsuccessful non-naval F-18 derivative. And from HESA in Iran, there's also the Azarakhsh (a cloned F-5E) and its development the Saeqeh, which is basically a low-wing Cobra.

sihinch

Another new plane coming out....
https://www.motionrc.com/collections/coming-soon-airplanes/products/freewing-f-105-thunderchief-64mm-edf-jet-pnp

I will be getting one of these and painting it in the 3 tone South East Asia camo!

Frank v B

Cadez, clean up your spray gun.  Get ready.  There's a case of beer heading your way to paint this plane. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Plumoni

Michael

Just got this, as per my post earlier.

Michael